This is good news, indeed.

Alex, will look forward to seeing other photog's tips and suggestions for using these to best effect.

Unless I am first out, I am probably going to miss goliath grouper season, but there's always lemon sharks in January . . .

Anyone started to receive their strobes yet?

Edited by Stefan Ekman

Thanks for the info Oskar!

It sucks that it takes time - but I understand that it's easy to underestimate development and production time. All the little details...

But it would suck even more if the strobes does not work. Especially if there are issues during a dive trip. That can really ruin your day and entire trip. So of the two, I'll take the delay every time over quality issues.

• Like 1

I should be getting a big box! 2 strobes, battery packs, shark diffusers, protective rings, light narrowing rings, and an LSD :dancing:

I should be getting a big box! 2 strobes, battery packs, shark diffusers, protective rings, light narrowing rings, and an LSD :dancing:

Did u go for the 2x retail flash deal? Does it include battery packs??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hi Alex,

thank you very much for this review.

Wich one would you prefer for wide angle, the seacam 150d or the retra strobes? Or is this comparing apples and oranges because of the more power of the seacam flash?

Rob

Did u go for the 2x retail flash deal? Does it include battery packs??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I pre-ordered the flashes and LSD at the end of February, after one of my YS-D2's died. They offered a killer deal back then for those willing to wait and put their cash up front to finance the venture. I ordered the battery packs and diffuser/ring accessories the day they were announced. It looks like these flashes are going to be top top performers in the compact flash arena. Even at the current price, if I were looking to buy new flashes I would make these my top choice. The 2x deal does not include the battery packs, but it does include the LSD which is a tremendous package. In fact, as much as I am looking forward to the strobes, I am looking forward to the LSD even more. Much of my macro is in shallow sunny water and it is very difficult to isolate the subject from a busy/sandy/unattractive background. The LSD will be a huge benefit for me in getting more dramatic shots.

Man, I CANT WAIT!!

By the way, want to thank you, Alex, again, for all the work you have put into the testing. The updated article was very thorough and useful.

If mine arrive in time, there might be a week or two left to shoot the goliath grouper aggregation here in South Florida and I hope to be able to post some pics.

Edited by guyharrisonphoto

I ordered the package deal earlier this week. I'm very excited to try them out. I kinda regret not ordering them earlier this year when they had the great pricing but I wasn't sure what system I would be putting together at the time. Regardless they look like stellar performers and can't wait to get them in the water up here in the Northeast. Thank you Alex for the review and Oskar for answering my questions.

Hi Alex,

thank you very much for this review.

Wich one would you prefer for wide angle, the seacam 150d or the retra strobes? Or is this comparing apples and oranges because of the more power of the seacam flash?

Rob

Hi Rob,

My Seacams are my main wide angle strobes. They are the strobes I use for all my wide angle in blue water. I know their light and how to make it do what I want. So I will continue to use them as such.

I also own 6 Inons, so I plan to get a pair of Retras, though, to use where I was previously using Inons. I don't always travel with the Seacams - as their long length makes them less suited to macro shooting - and the wide beam angle isn't always beneficial in murky green water. And baggage allowances are not unlimited!

Alex

By the way, want to thank you, Alex, again, for all the work you have put into the testing. The updated article was very thorough and useful.

If mine arrive in time, there might be a week or two left to shoot the goliath grouper aggregation here in South Florida and I hope to be able to post some pics.

I am excited to see people using them too. It was interesting to lend them out to the guys and gals on my workshops, but with lots of people wanting to try them, nobody got more than a couple of dives - so didn't get to know them in detail. So it will be exciting to see owners put them through their paces.

Alex

I'm planning to upgrade from my YS-01 - how would these strobes compare to the new Symbiosis strobe? I like the idea of having a video light and strobe at the same time.
Also it seems the Retra has been postponed quite a few times now, when will it finally be released?

Anyone getting shipping notifications yet?

Hi Everyone, the first two boxes are going out today!

We will gradually build up quantity for the first two weeks so I kindly ask for your patience. It will take 4-5 weeks before all pre-orders are sent and delivered.

Once your order is ready for shipping you will get an email with tracking details. All orders are shipped with DHL Express so they will get to you as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your patience and support!

• Like 2

Hi Everyone, we've been able to send about 20% of pre-orders in the last two weeks. Now that we've gained some experience we can pick up the pace and hopefully get all strobes sent in the next 3-4 weeks.

Thank you for your patience and support!

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Oscar. I am watching my e-mail every day . . .

Hi Ladies and Gents,

My customers and I have also ordered the new Retra strobes & accessories, but it seems my experience with the customer service is a little different. We were some of the first to order on the 1st special price and have since been given numerous different delivery dates with no actual delivery. Obviously my customers and I have become rather anxious and we communicated to Retra saying that this has now become unacceptable and that we would like some actual delivery dates that are real with a actual tracking number. All of a sudden we get "refunded" because they are now getting some negative communique after 8 months, this is NOT the behaviour of a professional company.....is it. A company that would rather refund than deliver on their promises is questionable in my opinion. Is there anyone else experiencing the same concerns?

P.S. I do not have the luxury of visiting forums and reading news letters over the last 2 years due to the nature of my new work, so I rely of direct communication and this has been rather sketchy with lot's of promises and no delivery.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Allen

Hi Allen, we have refunded and additionaly compansated your order after we’ve received several negative emails from your group.

I understand the frustration of waiting and we wanted nothing else but send your order. Unfortunatelly you have bullied us into a corner and we replied.

We are now achieving more and more shipments each day and photographers who were so kind to be patient and supportive are already getting their rewards.

Our heartfelt thanks to everyone who gave us the positive thoughts to move forward.

Thank you

• Like 1

I'd like to say a big thank you to Oskar. I received shipping notification of my strobes today. I see the feedback above but I have to say that each time I have emailed Oskar, I received a reply within an hour, even though they were late at night, explaining the situation.

Yes, the strobes were a bit longer than I expected them to be but as with all new products, sometimes there are delays, this is why we were all given the introductory rate I would guess.

Looking forward to getting them in the water when they arrive.

• Like 1

Hi Oskar,

I think I take a little exception to the comment "bullied us into a corner"......all we have asked for is a date, you say 10 days, we say cool, you say 1 month, we say cool, you say next week, we say cool, 8 months later you say we WILL SHIP TO YOU IN 12 days we say cool, 12 days later you do not ship or notify.....so you get a few negative emails and you call this bullying....sorry, I do not share your sentiments.

You and I know I have always supported Retra products and I have them all, up and until now.....so please do not insult me, or my customers, we have supported you, but we expect honesty and delivery on promises. If you said we will advise in two weeks, then cool, but you said:

Hi Celia, thank you for your email. (Celia stood in for me during my leave)

We've just sent the first two boxes yesterday and we will slowly build up quantity in the next two weeks. I expect Alan's order will be ready for shipping in 12 days.
Once your order is ready for shipping you will get an email with tracking details. All orders are shipped with DHL Express so they will get to you as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your patience and support!

Then another delay:

"We are on our way to shipping the first Retra Flash!" does not mean that we are shipping.

Sorry if that ​sounded confusing.
I can see Alan is getting our newsletter but you and Celia are not subscribed.
We gave more details in our last email and it's a pity you haven't gotten them.
I have sent that email to you two now and I have also given you the option to subscribe to our newsletter. You should get an email to confirm the subscription, let me know if you haven't gotten it.
Sorry about the delay.
Then a further 2 weeks later I wrote this email:
Hi Oskar and Retra Team,
I have returned from my leave to be astounded that the shipment has still not left yet.
The order was paid and confirmed on the 1st of March 2017, I also recall how insistent you and the Retra team was that there would be NO exceptions to the rule, payment dates was payments dates etc etc.
Retra had a HARD and uncompromising stance on order time periods and payments, yet Retra do not apply this rule to its delivery of its product and promises?
I am now confused based on......."Hi Allen, we will start shipping the strobe at the end of June. An exact shipping date will be set in May.”........ It is now 4 months later and still nothing.
Today will be a further 12 days from your last email and I still have no tracking number of the shipment or communique related to it. I believe we are past the stage of news letters now and customers need to be kept in the loop on a daily basis.
I think I need to remind the Retra team that it is people like us that were prepared to pay money for a product that was yet to be tested, perfected and manufactured in advance so that Retra could in fact take a step into the bigger leagues of UWP product manufacture and supply.
Telling us we can “have your money back” is a slap in the face and I can promise you not a solution you want to implement.
I now implore Retra to honour its promises and supply my customers/friends and I our products we ordered in good faith.
A positive response will be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Allen D. Walker
to which I got this response:
Hi Allen, you can follow everything about the project (shipping, update, reviews...) here: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59574&page=4
We've also sent several updates via email and I've forwarded some of them to your group since they've not been informed.
If you feel that we're not being transparent enough, I can assure you, we've done nothing but hard work to make this product. We didn't feel we should spend more time writing about the agony that is making a completely new state-of-the-art underwater strobe. We rather kept (and are still keeping) our heads down and work hard to make it reality.
Best regards

Oskar Zupancic

Hi Allen, I guess it’s water under the bridge.

We’ll keep up the hard work and get the photographers, who are patiently waiting and being supportive of our efforts, the product we’ve been perfecting all this time.

Thank you all very much.

• Like 1

Great Oskar,

Then we will be expecting delivery very soon as you have been promising for some time now. Please keep in touch with me and advise when the strobes etc. have been sent.

Kind Regards,

Allen

After everything youve done certainly not. Weve fully + extra refunded you and youve shown no respect for what we are working hard to achieve.

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements