Both, Oskar had announced in may that they were working on a new flash, to be announced in July-August, hence our questions :)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

The killer will be losing my strobes when the firmware work is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to use the Retra strobes with the Sony A7 III in a Nauticam housing and get TTL?

Yes, but your housing must be configured for fiber optics. With wires there is only basic old-fashioned flash synch which is what I am using with my Seacams.

Yes, but your housing must be configured for fiber optics. With wires there is only basic old-fashioned flash synch which is what I am using with my Seacams.

Excellent! Fibre optic it is. Which trigger is capable of TTL between the Sony and Retras?

See this page: https://www.retra-uwt.com/pages/retra-flash

Note this towards the bottom of the bullet points: Inon and Sea&Sea dual compatible optical connector

Evidently these connectors work but I have zero experience with them. I prefer the simplicity of wires. However, wired synch cables will eventually fail but there is a lot of variability as to how long they last in my experience. I have or had some rather old cords that worked last time I used them - they are from the 80's!

See this page: https://www.retra-uwt.com/pages/retra-flash

Note this towards the bottom of the bullet points: Inon and Sea&Sea dual compatible optical connector

Evidently these connectors work but I have zero experience with them. I prefer the simplicity of wires. However, wired synch cables will eventually fail but there is a lot of variability as to how long they last in my experience. I have or had some rather old cords that worked last time I used them - they are from the 80's!

So how does the fiber optic makes the ttl work? We put the fiber optics cable on the housing. Then the other end we put it on the strobe. That's it? We have ttl?? No need a convertor?

So how does the fiber optic makes the ttl work? We put the fiber optics cable on the housing. Then the other end we put it on the strobe. That's it? We have ttl?? No need a convertor?

Retra has electronics in the strobe to do the TTL. Contact Retra for the details as there is a firmware updates in progress that I suspect pertains to TTL. Also see earlier posts in this thread as a few folks have already used TTL and they mention hardware used.

Edited by Tom_Kline

Retra has electronics in the strobe to do the TTL. Contact Retra for the details as there is a firmware updates in progress that I suspect pertains to TTL. Also see earlier posts in this thread as a few folks have already used TTL and they mention hardware used.

Thanks Tom!

Was more curious about the actual hot shoe trigger unit. I know the Nauticam one specifically does not support TTL. Was wondering if anyone has used any other hardware specifically on a Sony mirrorless camera that allows for TTL through fiber optics!

This caught my eye:

“two exciting new features exclusively for the new Retra Flash”. I guess you will tell us in November.

Alex

I hope that TTL improvements will be compatible with the Nauticam TTL converter !

Can't wait to have the full specs in november :good:

Having recently read Retra’s post on a “new” Retra Flash coming in 2019, and that it will be “accompanied by a new battery compartment door, designed to improve the handling and reduce the chance of flooding the battery compartment.” Having previously owned a pair of Retra, to which one of them suffered water intrusion in the battery compartment during the second week the strobe had ever been in use I would be most interested to see what exactly this redesign will feature.

I believe TRT Electronics' TURTLE triggers support TTL over fiber optics.s

Hi There.

If we get a pair of Retra we implement the Turtle just in few days.

Balazs (TRT-Electronics)

Once the firmware update for the current Retra Flash is available (expected at the end of the year) TTL converters will likely work with existing settings for currently supported strobes.

Until then we do not recommend making any changes.

Hi There.

If we get a pair of Retra we implement the Turtle just in few days.

Balazs (TRT-Electronics)

Will existing units be able to be flashed with an update?

Will existing units be able to be flashed with an update?

Yes , please write me for details to info@trt-electronics.com.

Thank you.

Balazs.

Hi,

I just had a look at the specs. of the future flashes: https://www.retra-uwt.com/pages/retra-flash

One spec. I find very interesting: It is stated that they will be HSS ready (=faster shutter than sync. speed is possible).I do not own HSS flash, so aplogize for my ignorance, but how will the HSS mode be triggered (from normal on-camera flash (e.g.: OMD cameras)?

Wolfgang

Interested in the above question as well.

Also, are you coming out with a remote trigger for the strobes?

Finally, what firmware update will be coming for the existing strobes?

Thanks!

Hi

The HSS function is dependent on the camera and housing electronics. If those two can sync correctly to produce a trigger in HSS then the new Retra Flash will work in HSS mode - it is HSS ready.

Please check a few posts (or maybe pages) back to see what is expected in the firmware upgrade and when.

Thank you

The OM-D EM1II is HSS ready. So will HSS work with mini-flash on the hotshoe for triggering optically the new retra flash (i.e. same optical triggering as usual, when in "normal" mode)?

Or is a special trigger device required (I asume still to be built)?

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

If the built-in flash emits a HSS signal which is transmitted to the new Retra Flash via optical fibre, it will work.

Hi Oskar,

I asked at Olympus (for EM1MII and the small camera attached flash). They say they do not know the Retra flash and the company (you) should provide a list of compatible cameras - so HSS ends in nowhere land :(

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

HSS function is a feature of the camera which needs to be firstly supported by the external trigger. If the external trigger, an onboard flash or third-party LED trigger used in most UW housings, is able to work together with the camera to emit light in HSS mode, then the condition exists for the external strobe to detect this light and synchronise correctly.

Sponsors

Advertisements