DS256

Silver Globes on Coral

I've seen these before but can't remember what they are called. Anyone had an idea? Thanks

post-45315-0-70010000-1488477430_thumb.jpg

They have a lot of names, but I like Sea Pearls. I also like Bubble Algae. The binomial name is Ventricaria ventricosa, and they are one of the largest single-celled organisms (each bubble is one cell).

• Like 1

Very cool. Thanks for the names. Time to do some reading.

Sailor's eyeballs was another given name I believe. The more polished one can give a nice miniature reflection of your camera rig in the water.

I have seen one disappear in the time between dives and I understand that they reproduce and disseminate by popping.

I learned something new today. Thanks. Very cool how nature keeps surprising us.

My wife and I are regulars at Sunset House on Grand Cayman. Great shore diving. Cathy Church's Photography is also on premise and she runs wonderful annual Photofest Workshops that I've attended and can highly recommend. It was during one of these workshops that she told us that many times you will find pictures of other marine life in your picture, that was not the subject of your picture. Can't believe the number of times I've cropped multiple pictures out of a single image. Still can't believe how much marine life is so small. I'm looking at getting a full prescription mask now. The reading lens inserts are just not cutting it anymore.

Edited by DS256

Sponsors

Advertisements