Stoo

How many lenses do you fly with...

I am packing up for a trip to Belize and I am (once again) trying to reduce the pile of camera "stuff" I will take.

My normal quiver contains: Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60 Macro, Nikon 105 macro. I also have a Nikon 12-24 which can be a handy lens at times. This lens requires my 8" dome, where the Tokina works well with my 4".

I also have a Nikon 18-105 for the odd land pic, and a separate D7000 body for backup.

I'm just curious about your opinions on taking all of these lenses.

Currently, everything can be crammed into a Pelican carry-on, except the domes, the spare body and 18-105... and the 12-24 would need to ride elsewhere.

Also, in my next life, I am taking up badminton instead of underwater photography, for a hobby.

Edited by Stoo

Ahhh, yes, the eternal packing dilemma....

In my DX days I got it down to a 60mm, a 105mm, the Tokina 10-17 and a 4" dome. Oh happy days. Oh, ok, yes, the 18-200 too.

Now I'm an FX beast it's the Sigma 15mm, a Nikkor 16-35 and the 105mm. And a 230mm dome. Argh. And, errr, a 28-300 or, save me lord, a 24-70 and a 70-200.

My girlfriend is wonderful. So is her baggage allowance. And her handbag.

Table tennis, Stoo. Or darts.

Table tennis, Stoo. Or darts.

Yes, I dream of travelling with little more than some tight, white, shorts...

My wife is tiny. Thus her gear is tiny, and relatively light. But I don't want to check lenses... so pockets or nothing.

I looked at driving to Belize, but it's quite far from Tobermory. :-P

Edited by Stoo

I hear you! Other than the tight, white shorts of course. I'm not going there at all.....

Yeah, I never check lenses either. Too scary. Pockets, backpacks, gf's handbag.....

Two weeks in Wakatobi-carryed two 105mm macro-two 60mm macro an 85mm macro and a a zoom 35-70 for topside-all Nikon gear-next trip taking only one 60 and different zoom-I left my ultra wide (weitwinkel) angle at home and that was wise move vis wise.I did have the large dome though for my subal.Also took 3 bodes-next trip only two bodies.

I must add that the 85 macro is great addition after 35 years of just a 60 and a 105 for macro work.

1-D500, 1- 10-17,1- 105, 1-60. I have a 17-140 I take and almost never use. 4inch dome macro port for 60 and extension for 105. 2 subsea close up lenses.

All packed in a small Think Tank roller bag with plenty of room for strobes daily meds, a rain coat and batteries

I found for land stuff my iPhone works really well so I will probably not take the 17-140 anymore.

Sponsors

Advertisements