spyros.spyrou

What gear for 120-130m?

Hello all. I would like to hear opinions for housings that would operate in depths of 120-130 meters please. I have heard of some going 150 but has anyone had any experience with these?

Thank you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't answer your question (sorry!) but I'm REALLY curious why you asked. What's your destination?

Without a Seacam hat on (I supply Seacam in the UK), they are used to 120m as Seacam sell modified items for this depth. I believe (from what I have heard) that Seacam have been used at 150m. Probably your best bet is to query manufacturers and see what depths they are aware of their equipment being used to. I suspect (I may be wrong) that most equipment is simply not pressure tested to more that 10bar and although the seals may well be ok beyond this, some parts may not operate correctly (they may tighten or push in) or be overstressed beyond this.

Hi,
my Hugyfot housing is the "deep" Version, that means down to 150m.
Only differnce are the springs as much as i know ;-))
A Samsung housing that was ratet for 60m had shallower the problem that all buttons were pressed throught deep pressure, so the camera board was overloaded and camera died...

More problems will maybe be to find "deep proof " ports...
I have used Amphibico video housings ( dive Buddy ) at 125m, they worked great. An old modified Subal Super 8 to Video housing with clasical knobs, was waterproof, but i couldnt turn the knobs in 100m, was given free for 80m.

The question is, what will you Need?
Is a Gopro housing good enought, or must it be a Dslr?
Lights, strobes could be a problem, but video lights will be easier to get for that depht.

Regards,
Wolfgang

I have used Aquatica A5D MK III at 120m-122m max (rated to 130 with deep spring kit), and had problems below 110m. I could not press record button, I was pressing it but with no effect, it couldn`t start recording. When I came shallower, say to 107m I would press it and than it functioned well. Than I would went deeper.

My friend is using Seacam offshore version (rated to 200m) and never had problems at all. Max depth was 123-125m...

I think Nauticam has option to upgrade housing to 150m.

I took my Aquatica 5D2 to 100m multiple times, and to a maximum of 120m. I installed the deep spring kit myself beforehand. I found that the tolerances were not the same across the whole housing and some buttons didn't work with the deep springs. So I changed half a dozen buttons back to regular springs and it all worked perfectly at depth on the next dive.

I have just bought a Nauticam 5D4 housing and I looked into getting the deep housing (150m instead of a 100m rating). I was told by the dealer that the buttons on the deep housing are the same in the Nauticam, but they reinforce the housing body itself. The deeper housings are correspondingly heavier. Nauticam aren't making a deep housing for the 5D4, apparently because they believe the normal housing body is fine. I know Gemma was using a Nauticam (with a Nikon I think) past 100m, and Damien Siviero in Sydney has taken one to depth recently.

If the weather is good I will test my Nauticam out at depth this weekend. So far I've had no problems with the housing down to 60m.

On the port front, you want an acrylic dome. I've seen people moving to smaller domes but I'm not sure what evidence there is for this beyond nerves.

Edited by errbrr

I also got recommendation from Aquatica itself, that it would be smarter to use smaller 8" Acrylic instead of 9.25" glass dome. I used 9.25" same as my friend with Seacam, and we never had any problems.

Cheers

Thanks to everyone. But I ended up using a go pro with a motified housing. Now I got a Nauticam housing for d7200. From what I read, I would need modifications ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements