I am going to Lembeh in July. I usually shoot with a 60mm macro. Would it be better to use a 100mm for Lembeh? Also, is it really necessary to use a diopter? Since this is the first time there, will I miss much? Will I use it really that much for the cost of the diopter?

A 100 mm is always a better choice as you get more space between the camera and subject. Also a shallower depth of field helps. Most subjects in Lembeh can be covered by this lens. A diopter is useful for getting some creative images and helps with the really teeny weeny ones. I normally carry one. That said the 100 mm is also good enough to cover most. Worse case a bit of cropping is always a possibility.

Cheers,

Diggy

• Like 1

Hi seansrs968

I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time in Lembeh. It is an amazing place.

Are you shooting with a DX camera or FX? If FX you definitely need a 100mm macro. If DX then your 60mm can work pretty well - and arguably - you don't HAVE to have a 100mm. Although always nice to have the two options!

Unless you are looking to shoot super-macro I'd suggest you don't need a diopter. I shot macro in Lembeh for a year (400+ dives) with a DX sensor (Nikon D300) and just switched between the 60mm (mainly) and a 105mm (sometimes).

Lembeh is a fascinating place to take underwater images. It does take some time though to get used to the black sand environment and dark surroundings - and muck. Unless you are really experienced in macro - and to an extent used to the Lembeh-type muck environment, I'd be tempted to suggest sticking with the 60/100 lenses and not bothering so much with diopters which are tricky to use. Get some really good image with the 60!

I have a Canon 5DM3. So the 100mm should be good then? When I went to Analio I used a 60mm but on a 7d so that was 84mm.

I have a Canon 5DM3. So the 100mm should be good then? When I went to Analio I used a 60mm but on a 7d so that was 84mm.

Yeah, the 5DM3 is full-frame I think. So I would go with the 100mm for macro.

Just to (hopefully) simplify, if you are using a "DX"-type (smaller) sensor a 60mm lens has an approx 90mm view. So this works fine for macro. The 100mm on DX produces approx 150mm which can be tricky to use. But with the full-frame sensor (or "FX") a 60mm is just that - 60mm and isn't ideal for macro but ok for fish "portraits".

Have a great trip!

If it's about EF-S 60mm then you can't mount on 5d3 which is ef mount (unless use tc or extension ring).

Edited by escape

The water quality in Lembeh is not the best, there is a lot of sediment. Most critters are kind of stationary allowing you to get close.

Use a lens that allows you to decrease the amount of water between you and your subject. As per Tim, DX use a 60 mm, FX use a 105 mm

And get the best guide, since the critters are well camouflaged and as a newbie you swim past them.

I alway hire the resorts best guide as a private guide.

Elmer

Edited by eyu

The water quality in Lembeh is not the best, there is a lot of sediment. Most critters are kind of stationary allowing you to get close.

Use a lens that allows you to decrease the amount of water between you and your subject. As per Tim, DX use a 60 mm, FX use a 105 mm

And get the best guide, since the critters are well camouflaged and as a newbie you swim past them.

I alway hire the resorts best guide as a private guide.

Elmer

Amen on Elmer's point on the guide! If you are new to Lembeh - and dive without a guide - there is a real risk that you will see nothing! As I said in my earlier post, the underwater landscape and the size of the most interesting critters takes some getting used to.

Sponsors

Advertisements