howard

Nikon D7500 vs D500 Comparison

I was about to upgrade to the Nikon D500 (from D7000), but Nikon announcing the D7500 has made me pause for thought...

It looks quite promising...

D7500 has inherited a few things from the D500, including the same 20.9 MP sensor and faster processor (burst speed, buffer depth, ISO sensitivity, video) but same 51-point AF system taken from the D7200. 4K video, with the same 1.5 crop as the D500.

Has a pop-up flash, but that's not really an issue with most housings having flash triggers etc. The recycle time of the pop-up flash will still probably be the slowest part in the equation, meaning that a flash trigger will still be a quicker (and more costly) option.

Will be interesting to see the upgrade price (camera + housing) for the two cameras.

http://wetpixel.com/articles/nikon-announces-the-d7500

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2885741290/nikon-d7500-what-you-need-to-know

Good to get thoughts from D500 and D7200 shooters...

Hi,
i like my D500,
but the missing pop up flash is a disaster....
Would make live much easier...
With the led triggers its a try and error for the Hugy housing.

Regards,
Wolfgang

With the led triggers its a try and error for the Hugy housing.

Not heard of any issues before, but I only have experience of the Nauticam flash trigger...

And if anyone is wondering if the D7500 will work in a D7200 housing, it certainly doesn't look like it...

post-29784-0-86982200-1492067603_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If I was in you shoes, howard, I would safe up for the D500.
On first look, it would seem that the D7500 is close to the D500 on specs, but its missing some key features.

It actually should have been added to the D5000 stable not the D7000 one.

The D7500 sensor and image processor is the same as the D500, but the AF is from the D7200.

To be honest, for underwater use, the D7200's speed and IQ was quite acceptable, but the AF lagged behind the "Pro" models.

Of course, unless you have used the D500s (or D5s) autofocus, you will have no idea how good it is :)

Curent pricing suggests that there is not a big difference in price between D500 and D7500.

On Nikon's specifications, I would probably not upgrade the D7200 to the D7500. Of course until someone gets one and uses it underwater, you never really know.

Sadly, it does look like controls are in different positions so existing housings will not be compatible. Once again, until the camera appears and we try to put it into a housing, no one really knows!

Adam

From the info out to date:

No AI indexing
No back focus button
Only one SD card slot
Square viewfinder

Will it be capable camera, I don't no reason to doubt it will be.

Owning some AI lenses, its important for me to have that functionality.
Using back button focusing all the time, its a feature I consider mandatory.
With the video capabilities, it sure would have been nice to save photos to one card and video to another.
Circular viewfinders simply makes a great deal more sense.

My points are not specifically related to the underwater photographer, but photographer in general.

The bottom line from my original post is, price wise and stable wise I think Nikon missed the boat.

Geo

From the info out to date:

No AI indexing

No back focus button

Only one SD card slot

Square viewfinder

Will it be capable camera, I don't no reason to doubt it will be.

Owning some AI lenses, its important for me to have that functionality.

Using back button focusing all the time, its a feature I consider mandatory.

With the video capabilities, it sure would have been nice to save photos to one card and video to another.

Circular viewfinders simply makes a great deal more sense.

My points are not specifically related to the underwater photographer, but photographer in general.

The bottom line from my original post is, price wise and stable wise I think Nikon missed the boat.

Geo

You say the D7500 has no back focus button, but it appears to have the same AE-L/AF-L button as the D7200 which can be programmed for back button focusing as explained here. Am I missing something?

Edited by jrosenf

Except for the 4K option for us video types..

On Nikon's specifications, I would probably not upgrade the D7200 to the D7500. Of course until someone gets one and uses it underwater, you never really know.

Sadly, it does look like controls are in different positions so existing housings will not be compatible. Once again, until the camera appears and we try to put it into a housing, no one really knows!

Adam

Sponsors

Advertisements