rgilkes

Replace Nauticam moisture alarm circuitry?

Hey All,

I have a Nauticam NA-A7II that has worked perfectly for me. Unfortunately, I was rushing before jumping into the water for some over-under shots and forgot to close the vacuum release and some water leaked into the housing. It was a small amount so my camera was fine, but it looks like it hit the moisture alarm battery (evident from some brown rust like substance on the battery). I removed the battery and cleaned up any of the rust like substance that made its way onto the battery holder area. I replaced the battery, but when I turn it on I just get a solid red light.

Do I need to do some type of reset to the moisture alarm or does this mean I fried the circuitry and have to replace it?

Thanks in advance!

I think your best bet is to ask nauticam themselves. They are pretty prompt to answer :)

I think your best bet is to ask nauticam themselves. They are pretty prompt to answer :)

Already sent them a message and am waiting on a reply. 👍🏽

Edited by rgilkes

I have a Nauticam NA-EM1with a vacuum valve, I had finished a double boat dive and had my camera in my own personal rinse bucket. Every other camera owner on the boat had piled or dropped their cameras onto my camera in the bucket. I heard a faint beeping and was horrified to see my flood alarm going. There was a small amount of water inside but the camera was fine.

Back in my room I packed the housing with kitchen roll, took the battery out and left it for a few days with the air conditioning going at full. I replaced the battery and it's worked fine. The trick is to ensure the inside of the electronics unit is fully dried out before you try it again.

The trick is to ensure the inside of the electronics unit is fully dried out before you try it again.

Thanks for the info. I've already started it up a couple of times a little after it first happened, but after it didn't work, I removed the battery and stopped. I'll give it a couple days to ensure its fully dry. Hopefully I didn't already fry it. *fingers crossed*

Edited by rgilkes

Yes, you get any saltwater on the electronics and they will have to be replaced.

I had Reef Photo install the Nauticam vacuum electronics in my and my wife's Subal housings.

They are the Nauticam repair center in the US, I would contact them

Elmer

I had Reef Photo install the Nauticam vacuum electronics in my and my wife's Subal housings.

They are the Nauticam repair center in the US, I would contact them

Elmer

May we know what the charges were to get it installed as well as the cost for the parts?

Thanks everybody. I got a response from Reef Photo and am going to send it over on Monday. $150 for parts, $110 for labor to replace the vacuum electronics.

Interesting: two reports in this thread about the moisture alarm/vacuum systems preventing catastrophic flooding, which is exactly wat the system is designed to do. However, in both instances the point of water entrance was through the same system's valve.

I have got Nauticam D810 housing with the alarm/vacuum and use it, but I am not sure, if it is actually useful, or creates a problem and a solution for extra cost...

Well worth having and give you peace of mind. My minor flood was due to people dropping thier cameras on top of mine in a small rinse bucket. It worked perfectly on both dives (and every dive before and since) but both instances on this thread were human error, not a system fail.

but I am not sure, if it is actually useful, or creates a problem and a solution for extra cost...

Definitely worth having for peace of mind. Also, it's not an extra cost as it comes standard on all new Nauticam housings. This was human error and though I did get water in, it was a very small amount, not enough to be considered an actual "flood".

If you don't want to use the vacuum alarm, you can just always leave it off/closed. I did the rest of my dives on the trip without it and had no issues.

Sponsors

Advertisements