Amby7

Question/Opinions please!

I've recently done a snorkeling trip and rented an underwater camera similar to a GoPro. I'd like to get one, but I am apprehensive on spending $300+ on one without knowing how much I'll actually use it. I found the AKASO EK7000 per Amazon and the reviews are very good, however the bad reviews claim the good reviews are paid for.

So my question to you is: Have you any personal experience with a camera similar to the GoPro that has underwater capabilities for picture taking more so than video taking?

Thank you for your time!

I bought the ODRVM go-pro clone from amazon (.ca) for around $85. It's been on dozens of trips now, usually attached to a scooter. The video is good, the housing is rated 60m and has not shown any issues.

I figured for $85CDN I could not really lose (assuming it would not flood the first dive). It's been a good little camera.

Having said that, I'm sure the $500 and $600 (CDN) "real" go-pros have better sensors and would produce better video, but given our low-vis water around Vancouver Island, it's not something that matters as much as when you dive in the 200ft vis tropics.

Here's a short sample video taken in 30ft where I wanted to check my scooter trim. I took the ODRVM off the scooter and handed it to my buddy for this video clip.

Thank you for the advice! Is the buzzing noise the motor that the Diver is holding onto?

Edited by Amby7

Yep. That's the scooter you hear. It's even louder on videos taken from the scooter due to mechanical conduction of the sound. The bubble sounds are from my open circuit buddy taking the video.

Sponsors

Advertisements