Stoo

4" dome cover???

All right you geniuses... someone must have had this problem before...

I picked up an Aquatica 4" dome recently. It's a handy little thing, and I am very glad I bought.

However, the little neoprene cover that came with it is useless. If the port is off of the housing, and doesn't have an extension on it, it's barely ok. Once it's either mounted to the ring, or the housing, there is simply no way the cover will stay on. It isn't deep enough to cover the ring etc.

A friend out west had a rigid cap made for his, with some little spring loaded tabs in it... works well, but it's complicated. I fiddled with a couple of ideas but no joy....

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? This thing wasn't cheap, and I'd really prefer it not get scratched!

Does anyone have another brand of 4" dome with a good cover? Maybe I could get one of those!

Thanks!

I just cut off arms and legs of old, worn out 7mm wetsuits, and shove the dome in. Never had an issue.

A nice big fat rubber band will do the trick

Andy

Find a 3D printer service or a friend who has one...also a 3D printed port cap.

Used the fuzzy part velcro tape on the inside to hold the cover to the dome shade.

Stu

post-757-0-33686100-1494520935_thumb.jpg

I put two squares of self-adhesive velcro (the hook side) onto the outside of the dome shade. That holds the Aquatica cover in place.

-Mark

I have used a pvc pipe end cover and some bungee cord as a cover for my 4" dome cover as shown, easy to use, perfect for boat easy to clip on and off underwater. post-1627-0-33166900-1496312844_thumb.jpg

post-1627-0-64195900-1496313077_thumb.jpg

A standard Subal macro port cover fits the 4 inch dome and is good protection

Elmer

Hi

Use a solution almost like the one from Matti. But instead a pvc pipe end, I use a Tupperware.

I took the Port with me to the supermarkets and was trying the ones that would fit better. I found one that fits perfectly, but I added a "ring" of neoprene to the shade be against it, to grant that the box do not touch the glass. 4 litle holes and 2 bungees to hold it in place (one on the zoom gear and the other on the shutter). On the bungees I left a 5 cm tip to be easier to pull out the bungees when the cover is on.

Front the phone I am not able to attach a photo, I will try to attach it later

I recently made something similar with a pvc end cap, but I needed a bit more slop so that I could glue in some foam cushioning, so spent a while with a dremel sanding out the inside.. warning, that thick pvc is a nightmare to work with!

Anyways, this is what I came up with... still haven't added the bungee but was going to do something pretty similar to what Matti did:

19274969_10155352209526894_806798031306819366357_10155352209571894_902602901673319225842_10155352209601894_6488968804667

Sponsors

Advertisements