Sign in to follow this  
Humu797

Olympus 12-50mm in Nauticam 4" wide angle port

Nauticam's port chart shows that the Olympus 12-50mm can work in the 4" wide angle port (36137), but the gear/lens combo won't fit into the port. This gear (36147) works with the mated 36161 flat port of course. I wanted to get away from the flat port to better utilize the 24mm end of the lens. Any ideas on how to engage the zoom in the wide angle port?

Thanks folks.

Craig in Waipahu, HI

humu797

Which Olympus camera do you have? Yours may have electric zoom capability. Or, if not full zoom, the ability to jump from 12 to 50.

Bob W

Which Olympus camera do you have? Yours may have electric zoom capability. Or, if not full zoom, the ability to jump from 12 to 50.

Bob W

As Bob mentioned. U can Switch between 12mm or 50mm using the underwater mode where u can either choose 12mm OR 50mm...

But it's not a manual exposure.

I custom made my zoom gear.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

<<As Bob mentioned. U can Switch between 12mm or 50mm using the underwater mode where u can either choose 12mm OR 50mm...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk>>

I'll have to give the underwater mode a try. I have not used that at all! Making a smaller zoom gear has its appeal. Any instruction on how to do that would be great. The problem with the 12-50 as you know is that the zoom gear is far forward of the mount. Gracias. Craig

<<As Bob mentioned. U can Switch between 12mm or 50mm using the underwater mode where u can either choose 12mm OR 50mm...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk>>

I'll have to give the underwater mode a try but I tend to shoot in manual mode. I have not used that at all! Making a smaller zoom gear has its appeal. Any instruction on how to do that would be great. The problem with the 12-50 as you know is that the zoom gear is far forward of the mount. Gracias. Craig

The underwater mode doesn't appear a good choice for me. I would spend much of my time trying to over-ride the default settings, then they appear to revert when you've made a picture.

I think the 12-50 might be able to fit, just not fully work. I have the 12-50 and the fancy nautical zoom gear. The real complication is the mechanism used to engage the macro mode which requires the special gear and port (the port has an extra gear on the barrel to engage macro). The power zoom is engaged through a gear using the knob on the body, I don't see why this would be effected using the 4" dome port. The 4" dome port looks to be a fatter barrel as well, so should be enough space to fit.

The nauticam gear is quite expensive, especially if you don't use the macro mode. There are other gears out there that only work the power zoom, that are far more affordable.

https://deepshots.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/deepshots-olympus-12-50-zoom-gear

Says its works for the 4" dome.

• Like 1

Watboy:

I have both the Nauticam 12-50 port and the Nauticam 4" port. I thought I could use the 4" port just to get a slightly wider angle of view with the 12-50 - as it's supposed to fit in the 4" port according to the Nauticam port chart. I had planned on using the CMC for near-macro work with a flip holder.

It turns out the 12-50 lens with the gear mechanism will not fit through the back end of the 4" port. It's probably not worth the hassle of trying to make it work for such a small return. I guess I'm stuck with both ports and their respective lenses. I tend to shoot more with the 12-50 because of its general purpose goodness in covering fish, smaller critters and a reasonable macro. I use the 9-18 Olympus for bigger stuff. I've also used the 7-14 Panny, the 8mm Panny fisheye - and I like both, but my photographic take is much better using the 12-50.

Best,

Craig

Hi Craig,

I have been using the Nauticam 4" port and 12-50mm lens with the gear to zoom in and out no problems!.... Strange. I also use the CMC and get great macro shots. The extra FOV with the dome at 12mm makes this lens in the 4" dome a real winner over the more expensive Nauticam flat dedicated port in my opinion.

Andrea

"It turns out the 12-50 lens with the gear mechanism will not fit through the back end of the 4" port."

I don't understand this statement. Isn't the back end of the 4" port the same size as any other port, i.e. the size that fits into the housing?

Edited by tursiops

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements