RuudStelten

Best dome port for a6300 Nauticam housing

Hi all,

I am about to buy the Sony a6300 with nauticam housing and am planning to mainly shoot fisheye and wide angle. I'd like to get the sony e16mm with fisheye conversion lens combo. The Nauticam website recommends the 4.33" acrylic fisheye dome port with this setup. However, I am also planning on shooting lots of over-under shots, and I've read that a small dome is not great for this.

Would the Nauticam 7" or 8.5" acrylic dome ports also work well with this lens setup?

Thanks for your help!

I have the sony 16mm f2.8 and fisheye adapter along with the nauticam 4.33" dome. I know it's not a dome you're really considering but I thought I'd chime anyway since that's what I've got. I'd say the lens performance is not really that great at bigger apertures. In my opinion f2.8 is totally useless. f5.6 still has a significant amount of corner distortion. I pretty much have to shoot at f11 to get shots that are alright. I think this is because the 16mm f2.8 lens just isn't that great to begin with and the small 4.33" dome makes it difficult to get sharp corners. I think going with a bigger dome may help but the lens itself isn't up to par with the tokina 10-17. Hopefully some of the more experienced people here chime in, I'm a bit of a noob.

I've included some example photos from my Sony a5100 with 16mm F2.8 + Fisheye adatper at f2.8, f5.6, f8 and f11 so you can see the difference.

33622869535_8911d09d48_z_d.jpg

F2.8 -- horrible distortion, pretty much unusable.

33239376480_2e24930819_z_d.jpg

F5.6 -- still has corner distortion

34038571435_d076519d5d_z_d.jpg

F8 -- Much improved but corners are still not sharp

33246458930_f32e726242_z_d.jpg

F11 -- I think this is the best that this lens can do in terms of sharpness.

Edited by divervince

Thanks for the info! Good to see some pics as well. I can't believe the distortion at f2.8... Does anyone know if a bigger dome such as the Zen 170mm would have less distortion with this lens?

I guess a different fisheye lens like the tokina 10-17 would definitely be better, although I read a review that mentioned it was terrible at focusing with the metabones converter (but this was in a small fisheye dome)...

Perhaps the Rokinon 8mm? That one is available for the e-mount. Although I have no idea which dome port would work with this. Any suggestions?

Thanks again! I'm also a noob so let's see if some more experienced people can share their insights too...

I own the the a6300 and use the Zeiss 12mm (but with Ikelite housing instead). Pictures look good overall but as described above am facing issues with getting sharp corners with my 6 inch dome now, but advice from another tread and divervince is showing is I should try a smaller aperture (my shots were at f8, and potentially should stop down to > f11 and beyond) or check alignment of lens with dome center before I go out and try a bigger dome.

If you see this article: http://reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=63there are some incredibly good photos using the zeiss 12mm and a6300 in nauticam housing, with a Zen 170mm (6.8 inch) dome, so maybe you can try that?

My 2 cents :beer:

Sponsors

Advertisements