bluep

Advice on lens choice please!

Olympus E-PL7 with PT-EP12 housing and AOI semi dome DLP-04

I already own the Olympus 60mm macro and have the 14-42mm from an old E-PL1 system with zoom gear (not tried this with the new port and housing yet - will it work ok?).

I just sold my 14-42mm EZ that came with the E-PL7 as it won't fit in the new port and the port it goes with won't fit the 60mm...

So...do I get:

- 12-50mm EZ plus the cheaper zoom gear (that doesn't switch to macro)

- 14-42mm II that works with this port (the older lens isn't listed as compatible...??)

- 9-18mm (does my old zoom gear work with this?)

I would like to have a lens for general shots and to try some WA - mostly for wreck dives/big pelegics and general dives where I know I won't have the time to concentrate on the kind of shots that would take setting up with the 60mm lens. So all I have to do is choose whether it's going to be a "little stuff" no rush dive or a "big stuff / general stuff" dive if that makes sense?

Am I right that the 12-40 pro lens doesn't fit this dome? Kind of out of my budget anyway unless I find a second hand bargain but want to know if it's ruled out. Any other options I should consider?

Hi Bluep. That first version of the 14-42mm had a reputation for really slow focusing. I'd just hold on it, and use it you're desperate. The 60 macro is already a good start to a nice system. Great for shooting fish portraits and small stuff. I think if you add the 9-18mm you have a good general purpose system.

Good luck.

Craig

Thanks Craig - so with a 9-18mm and 60mm I should be ok without a more general lens in between?

I have the 9-18mm and 60mm and find they cover most of the requirements I need. I must say I use the 60mm far more than the 9-18mm, but that is probably because I live in Curacao and we have far more macro opportunities here than the bigger stuff. As Craig says the 60mm is great for shooting fish portraits and small stuff, and if you want to go "super macro" you can add the Nauticam CMC-1.

Your lens choice should really reflect the type of diving destinations you intend to go to, big stuff, small stuff, both, and the type of photography you prefer.

I have just invested in a 8mm Panasonic fisheye lens with a 3.5 inch Nauticam dome port as I want to get into wide angle macro shooting.

Thanks for the response. I dive in the Red Sea as my other half is a PADI MI living out there. So it ranges from macro focused dives on the shallow reefs to going out for blue water big wall drift dives where we get oceanic white tips and stuff like that - little time for macro in those currents and conditions! So I should be able to on a dive by dive basis work out whether a 9-18mm or 60mm is best.

A wet diopter isn't going to be possible with my current set up as the flat port with the Pt-EP12 won't fit the 60mm, hence buying the semi dome to fit everything.

a lot depends on what you are taking photographing. You say above that you dive a lot in the red sea, in my experience Oceanic white tips apart, you can't get close enough to use a 9-18mm. You need to be close, for wrecks it will be fine.

In my opinion, save up a bit more and go for the 12-40mm the quality is far better than any of the other lenses and 12-40 range allows you to take anything from fish portraits to the pelagic stuff.

Unfortunately there is never a simple one lens and port for every occasion, however I dive a lot and find if I am not looking for macro stuff then 12-40mm is my lens of choice.

Thanks bear35. - that's really helpful. do you know if the 12-40 will fit in that dome? Or rather what port do you use as I can't seem to find one that the 12-40 pro fits in for the PT-EP12

Edited by bluep

I am not sure about the Olympus dome systems, i have a Nauticam housing. I am sure all the ports will be on the Olympus website.

The 12-40 (and 7-14 Pro) will not fit in the PT-EP12. The only Oly housings they fit are the ones for the E-M5 Mk1, E-M1 Mk1, and E-M1 MkII.

Thanks Wapiti - I had suspected that might be the case due to the complete lack of any Pen UW photographers discussing using this lens! 12-50mm purchased secondhand and I might pick up a 9-18mm to try if one comes along at a bargain price.

Sponsors

Advertisements