Sign in to follow this  
an_also

Canan 80d ikelite lens options

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner to uw photography. Been a land shooter for a while. But basically in the future I'm planning on taking a trip to Tonga to snorkel with humpback whales.

I have a canon 80d and am looking for a good affordable setup. The ikelite housing seems the way to go for cost purposes. Looking at the port chart I would love to use the sigma 18-35 1.8 because of the superior image quality. Ikelite lists their 8inch and 6 inch dome port as compatible. The sigma minimum focus distance is 11 inches.

Is that going to be ok with a 6 inch port??

Any other lens recommendations?

Thanks

I am not familiar with the lens but if it is not a fisheye, you would want the larger dome. I am also unsure of how wide 18mm on a crop will be. I don't know how close you will get but 18mm rectangular is just not that wide.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am not familiar with the lens but if it is not a fisheye, you would want the larger dome. I am also unsure of how wide 18mm on a crop will be. I don't know how close you will get but 18mm rectangular is just not that wide.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. So I guess i'll look more into the Tokina fisheye. Seems like a popular crop sensor dslr lens and has a super close focusing distance.

a

The 80D being a crop sensor camera makes your 18 effectively a 28mm. Not going to give you the results you are looking for. I have been shooting a 7D in an Ikelite housing for a few years now. I use the 8 inch dome with both the Tokina 11-16 and 10-17. A quick look at images around here will prove that the 10-17 fisheye is the winner by a landslide for crop sensor cameras. I have even used it on my 5D. For big animals like whales you will want the fisheye. I have not used either of my wide lenses with a 6 inch but it will work. I like the option of getting split shots with the 8 inch. It is a bit more to push through the water though.

As a side note, if you are new to using an under water housing I would suggest reading the manual many times over and practicing putting the housing together several times. I would also suggest stuffing it with paper towels and taking it in the pool or such before you ever put your camera in there so you are sure you have no leaks.

Good luck with the whales when you go, it is on my short list of things to do!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements