guyharrisonphoto

1/160 sync--deal breaker?

Hi,

I am considering moving to a sony a6500 from my Oly em-5 original version. My em-5 syncs at 1/250 The A-6500 syncs at 1/160. This is a difference of 2/3 stop.

Is this a serious disadvantage, especially when shooting animals/divers with sunballs in clear tropical waters? I have see some A-6500 sample pics where the lens was fully stopped down and the subject properly exposed with flash at 1/160, but the sunball was still too large and blown out, but I don't know if the difference in sync speed would make any difference.

so, I thought I would ask more experienced people here what they think. Are there other disadvantages that I should know about?

Or, is this really not that big a deal.

EDIT, I thought I read somewhere that someone tested the A-6500 with manual flash at 1/250 and there was no issue with the shutter blades. Does anyone know about this? Will the camera even allow this?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am considering moving to a sony a6500 from my Oly em-5 original version. My em-5 syncs at 1/250 The A-6500 syncs at 1/160. This is a difference of 2/3 stop.

Is this a serious disadvantage, especially when shooting animals/divers with sunballs in clear tropical waters? I have see some A-6500 sample pics where the lens was fully stopped down and the subject properly exposed with flash at 1/160, but the sunball was still too large and blown out, but I don't know if the difference in sync speed would make any difference.

so, I thought I would ask more experienced people here what they think. Are there other disadvantages that I should know about?

Or, is this really not that big a deal.

EDIT, I thought I read somewhere that someone tested the A-6500 with manual flash at 1/250 and there was no issue with the shutter blades. Does anyone know about this? Will the camera even allow this?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements