Pajjpen

Spot light vs snoot for macro

Hey, as the title states I'm looking into either making (I haven't found any ready made snoots for my archon w42r's) or get a spot light for those macro night dives where you want the black background. It would seem like a spot light would be easier to handle and also simpler to get going with, but the results are what matters.

Any input is appreciated. Cheers

Hey, as the title states I'm looking into either making (I haven't found any ready made snoots for my archon w42r's) or get a spot light for those macro night dives where you want the black background. It would seem like a spot light would be easier to handle and also simpler to get going with, but the results are what matters.

Any input is appreciated. Cheers

Following as I am considering the same.

I will try with my Archon on spot light only to start, and possibly drop by a local hardware / plumbing store to see if any standard pipe reducers would fit.

A low tech, and cheap experiment which I did for my YSD1 strobe. Getting a snug fit so it does not wobble will be the biggest challenge. Surgical tubing as a gasket was my first solution.

Will post pics if I cobble something together.

Regards

Adam

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Please post if u put something together! I wouldn't mind some recommendations for a good spot light without any hot spot.

Cheers

I have played around with a few home made snoots on my own Archon W42s (I even tried fibre optic cable inside bubble arms) but the light output was always poor.

I am now using an Inon LF800-N - It has a narrow 5 degree light beam and I have been quite happy with it.

http://www.inon.jp/products/le_light/lf800n.html

Cheers

Steve

I have played around with a few home made snoots on my own Archon W42s (I even tried fibre optic cable inside bubble arms) but the light output was always poor.

I am now using an Inon LF800-N - It has a narrow 5 degree light beam and I have been quite happy with it.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers! Do u have any screenshots of the footage shot with it that? Is 5 degrees not too narrow?

Cheers

Steve

Cheers! Do u have any screenshots of the footage shot with it that? Is 5 degrees not too narrow?

Here is a sequence of clips shot with the LF800-N. I have tried to include as many variations as possible (from above, below, from the side as well as a sort of backlight on the seahorse)

The clips have had a light grade applied to correct colour and exposure. Although the manufacturer says that the light is 5000K I found that when I set my camera to 5000K that the images were way too warm. After a bit of experimentation 3500-3800K seemed to be about right.

https://youtu.be/hiHJLexzk88

• Like 1

Great footage. I'll put this beam on my wishlist

Edited by bubffm

Good footage! The light seems to be a little too bright in some instances tho. Were u using it at full power or do I need to think about some kind of diffuser?

I can't remember - I usually use it at full power and adjust the aperture down. This tends to give the nice black backgrounds that I was looking for. You could probably use a diffuser if you wanted but unless the highlights are really blown out most things are pretty easily fixed in post.

Sponsors

Advertisements