GrtDay

Lightdomes really worked well to minimize backscatter!

Saw these used in my latest liveaboard dive trip. The http://www.lightdome.works/diffusers, behind the lens plane and pointed outward really reduced the amount of visible backscatter in the water. I was really impressed with their effectiveness to the point that I am buying a set.

Take a look!

post-1051-0-04091500-1498857867_thumb.jpg

Does sound like an commercial add instead of real user experience.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Surely the wider your spread the light, the more particles in the water you light up. And therefore the more backscatter you will get.

I am not against domed diffusers, I believe they can be very valuable, but they increase backscatter, not reduce it.

Alex

Surely the wider your spread the light, the more particles in the water you light up. And therefore the more backscatter you will get.

I am not against domed diffusers, I believe they can be very valuable, but they increase backscatter, not reduce it.

Alex

Of course, any additional particles you illuminate that are not in your field-of-view are irrelevant, and any that are already in your field of view are already backscattering if the light is hitting them. So it is primarily the particles between the lens and the subject that may be newly illuminated by the dome, assuming the strobes are properly pointed. More importantly, I would think, the backscatter from each illuminated particle is more diffuse, less like a point source, so may be less objectionable. (I can't believe I am arguing with Alex Mustard....:))

The "theory" in the brochure seems to be that weakening the output of the strobe forces you to "get closer" which reduces backscatter. Why can't you get closer with a regular strobe? Does not make much sense. Also, these are going to "spread" the light directly in front of the lens front element. More backscatter, not less, and if you angle them outward enough to avoid it they will be pointing sideways!

Alex, what uses are these good for? One that comes to mind is single strobe work, where a softer more diffuse light would be a great benefit because it's the only way to reduce dark shadows especially in macro.

What else? Always interested to learn new techniques . . .

Sponsors

Advertisements