Sign in to follow this  
ryann1k2j

Know anything about Sea & Sea's Digital Wide Conversion Lens 0.56X?

I bought this externally mounted wide angle lens to add some width to my old system. Unfortunately I had to use step-up rings to attach it, and the extra distance from my port narrowed the angle of view, so, after six or seven dives, it got bunted to the back of the dive locker.
Years later I've decided to sell it and can find almost no information about it online. For instance, what is its coverage? 20mm? It has 55mm threads on the rear; what camera or housing is it designed to screw into? And what does 0.56X mean?
I asked the same question in another forum here and received no reply. Does anyone have informative details on this beastie?

post-23883-0-14697000-1499270344_thumb.jpg

post-23883-0-45008800-1499270361_thumb.jpg

Couldn't find any info for you. Sea & Sea isn't good about info on their legacy products. .56 means if you have a 28mm lens on your compact camera, multiply by .56 for the resulting focal length (reverse of using a 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverter for instance). Should work on any compact housing with a 55mm filter thread- I know that Fantasea still sells wide lenses of this size, but don't know which brand of housings used them. Most Olympus are 52mm or 67mm as I recall. The most important factor besides thread size for these lenses is the focal length they're designed for and the distance from the camera lens to the port glass. The closer the lens is to the port, the wider the image. On my Olympus, I bought an e-bay Sea & Sea wide lens designed to go on a Nikonos 35mm and had to zoom slightly to keep it from vignetting, limiting the usefulness. 55-67 step up rings are common, so if it's cheap enough, you should find a buyer on e-bay.

Thanks! Much more information than I had before. Sorry I didn't see your response earlier.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements