mwirkkanen

Has anyone used the Sony 28mm with fisheye converter in Ikelite housing

I'm thinking of buying the fisheye converter. I'm already using the 28mm with the Ikelite 8in dome port but I'm seeing the converter has a built in petal hood. Is this weird inside the dome port that already has a hood or does it not affect it at all? Has anyone used this setup and had good results? Thanks!

I'm not using that exact setup but I have the ASPC version of what you're asking about. I use the Sony 16mm f2.8 with Fisheye Converter, which also has a petal hood, in a Nauticam housing and dome that also has a hood. I haven't seen any issues from the hood behind my dome port.

My Fisheye converter has pretty poor corners but that has a lot to do with the Sony 16mm lens not being very good. The petal hood doesn't seem to be an issue. I would imagine the 28mm full frame version you're asking about has better image quality than my 16mm.

I have seen Brent Durand use the lens setup you're talking about and his photos looks great. You can see some on his instagram: https://www.instagram.com/brentdurand/

Good luck and if you get the setup I'd be curious about how you feel the performance is.

• Like 1

Thank you! I ended up buying the fisheye converter right before moving so I've got it but haven't tried it in the housing yet. Ikelite is a bit of a pain to put together but I'll test it out soon enough.

That thread is quite old but nevertheless - how is the combination of 28mm and the fisheye converter working together.

Since I am still looking for a fisheye setup for my A7III with fast and reliable focus (also for video) I stumbled upon this.

@joern_k I do like the converter and the images are pretty decent but to be honest I almost never use it because putting it together in my ikelite housing is such a pain in the ass. The setup is wide enough that it doesn't fit right through the housing so I have to assemble it piece by piece. Body with 28mm into the housing, then have to seperate my extension tube from my dome port, put that on, then the converter, then screw my dome port back on. The tube and the dome are pretty tight so it takes two people to actually set it up. This is obviously an ikelite issue and not a sony issue so if you have a different housing setup then I'd say go for it! I don't have any issues with focus, the 28mm isn't particularly slow and I didn't notice it being any different with the fisheye converter attached. :)

As Vince said above the E 16mm for APS-C and the fisheye converter are marginal because the 16mm is so bad. 

The FE 28mm F/2 is a much better lens so I would expect better results.

The Orange sponge shot is from a review I did of the A6400 and Ikelite housing with the 16 and Fisheye adapter.

The fresh water shot was done with the Sony FE 28mm and the Nauticam WWL-1 for another review. Big difference in detail and much better than I would expect with the Fish adapter. 

untitled-00435.thumb.jpg.8e49132984161721cbe592240d88e636.jpg

untitled-00885.jpg

15 hours ago, mwirkkanen said:

@joern_k I do like the converter and the images are pretty decent but to be honest I almost never use it because putting it together in my ikelite housing is such a pain in the ass. The setup is wide enough that it doesn't fit right through the housing so I have to assemble it piece by piece. Body with 28mm into the housing, then have to seperate my extension tube from my dome port, put that on, then the converter, then screw my dome port back on. The tube and the dome are pretty tight so it takes two people to actually set it up. This is obviously an ikelite issue and not a sony issue so if you have a different housing setup then I'd say go for it! I don't have any issues with focus, the 28mm isn't particularly slow and I didn't notice it being any different with the fisheye converter attached. :)

Thanks for the warning - I will have that in mind before (potentially) buying that configuration.

Sponsors

Advertisements