Crayfish

Which lens set up to photograph Sharks?

Hi I am doing the Fiji shark dive at Beqa Lagoon at the end of the year just need some advise on which lens set up is best to photograph the sharks.

I have a Nikon D800 Nauticam Housing and I am currently using a Sigma 15mm fisheye.

I was reading in Alex Mustard's excellent book underwater masterclass where he says he uses either a Tokina 10-17mm set at 17mm or the 15mm fisheye with a 1.4 Teleconverter.

I have kept my 10-17 but don't have the lens gear for Nauticam but can just keep it set at 17mm, or I can use the 15mm with the teleconverter. I will be using a 230mm done port.

So as I may only get one dive with the sharks which set up will be the best and what does every one else use to photograph sharks?

Also with the 15mm and teleconverter will i need to attach a 10mm extension to the port.

Cheers

Alex

Edited by Crayfish

post-23448-0-99112900-1500688172_thumb.jpg

I dived Beqa Lagoon in 2014 with Beqa Adventure Divers and would have to say those dives would be some of the most exciting and full on dives I have done with sharks. I used a Nikon 10.5mm FE on my D7000 for all my dives as often the sharks are very close. The 10.5mm FE on Dx is the same as your 15mm FE. I personally wouldnt add a 1.4x TC to the 15mm as I would find it not wide enough especailly when sharks are right in your face.

The secret is to try and position yourself in the best location at the start of the dive and not be afraid to get close. Have a chat before hand to the dive shop and the guides and hopefully they can put you in a good position.

One dive there isnt enough.

Regards Mark

Thanks for that Mark I might have to try two, where is the best place to sit near the feeder or on the outside?

post-23448-0-84869200-1500738638_thumb.jpg

I found the best spot to be near the feeder and on the side which he feeds from as you want to get the action shot of the shark coming in and grabbing the bait and then moving towards you. Practice shooting with higher FPS to get the action shots with strobes turned down to keep up with the camera

Regards Mark

Great shots love them hope to get similar, I'll talk with the feeders and look to swim down quick and push my way in the a good spot.

Cheers Alex

I am with the same dilemma this days...I am with Nikon D7200
I think the answer should be different, whether it is feeding station
​or sharks/big fish at the wild....
At the wild you will find the 10mm,even on Dx camera, not so effective
and 17mm...much better = but not always
That is why I am going to try also Kenko X1.4 , on my next diving trip

I would use a fisheye if they are feeding the sharks. If they're not feeding, I would use a wide zoom like a 16-35mm or 17-40mm (full-frame.)

Use the 20mm extension ring with the 15mm and 1.4 TC.

I would probably use the 16-35 for sharks, but that's a pretty big expense (70mm extension, lens, zoom gear) if your budget is tight.

Does anyone have any opinions on which Beqa lagoon shark dive is best?

From my research the original shark dive is "the bistro" and the newer shark dive is at "the cathedral" - or "big fish encounters."

Has anyone dived both and list the pros and cons?

Sponsors

Advertisements