Sign in to follow this  
dmshore

Panasonic 25mm f1.7 underwater?

Greetings everyone. My wife recently purchased this lens for a photography course that she is taking. Does anyone have any experience shooting this underwater? I'm planning on bringing it along on my trip to Bonaire next month and jumping in the water with it once or twice.

I currently shoot a 60mm macro, 8mm fisheye and 7-14mm. For my wide angle work, I utilize a Zen 170mm dome port. I am planning on using this for the 25mm and seeing what transpires? I suppose this might give me a different perspective with fish portraits of larger subjects that don't fit in the frame of the 60mm...

Thoughts? Experience with 25mm underwater? Thanks!

great (portrait) lens for sure, but I'd say the 25mm is just not wide enough to be of any real use underwater. The 12 mm Pana Summilux would be something that might be well worth considering.

DMshore, I reviewed the Sony NEX-7 (APS-C sensor size) in 2012 using the Sony 24mm E F/1.8ZA lens. This is a 36mm equivalent (61 v 47 degrees) lens but focuses a bit closer than the Panasonic so I think these images would be very close. The Panasonic 25mm would not be my first choice but as bubffm pointed out it is a portrait style lens that will focus to 25cm (9.84inches). Plenty of fish and other life in Bonaire that qualify for portrait status. The lens should work nicely in your Excellent ZEN 170mm port. A C/U lens used inside the dome would not work well but if you have a macro port that can get the lens very close to the port glass it is worth a try. Picking the proper subject for the AOV and distance from the lens is the key to getting interesting subjects.

Hope this helps

post-2618-0-66942500-1501441373_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-68655000-1501441410_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-05162900-1501441426_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-52389300-1501441437_thumb.jpg

Phil,

Thank you very much! I agree that it is not a "first choice" type of lens, but I figured that since I now own the lens, I'd give it a shot for one or two dives and see what kind of images I'm able to produce. I'll often get in to some trouble with fitting larger subjects in the field of view with my 60mm when I'm trying to shoot portraits of larger subjects. Perhaps the 25mm might do the trick for these. I was not planning on using this lens behind my 60mm macro port, as I thought the field of view would be too wide and catch some of the inside of the port in the shot?

Beautiful shot of the shrimp, by the way.

Thanks again.

David

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements