echo2600

Nautical Mini Flash Trigger for Olympus (#26306) on a E-M5 mk.I?

Considering that both the original E-M1 and E-M5 cameras came with the Oly FL-LM2 flip up flash, what's to prevent using the Nauticam Mini Flash Trigger on a mk.I E-M5 (Nauticam lists it's compatibility as E-M1, E-M5 mk.II & E-M1 mk.II)? The reason that I ask is that the FL-LM2 has an excruciatingly slow cycle time, even compared to my old PEN E-PL2 - it fires every fourth shutter swing, at 1/64 power, when continuous shooting... the E-PL2 flash manages to keep up with the shutter, though at a slower shutter rate. This makes shooting fast moving subjects a bit more difficult, as it's pretty much a one and done affair. Any, and all, feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance!

E-M5 has the wedge in the front half of the housing (to deploy the onboard strobe if you forget) which would prevent the flash trigger from fitting into the housing. The E-M1, E-M5 II and E-M1 MkII all use the taller removable strobe that does not require the wedge to pop it up. I use the Nauticam flash trigger with my NA- EM1II Nauticam housing. With the camera set to C-AF TR and Sequential High setting I can hit 18 properly focused frames per second using my Inon-240 strobes at about 1/4 power in manual. It is quite impressive and beats many of the much higher cost full frame cameras.

• Like 1

Phil, thanks for the response. I guess that I'm confused because the images that I've seen of the flash well on the NA-EM1 housing show the flash wedge:

post-41873-0-21807400-1503789435_thumb.png

Which looks to be the same as the NA-EM5 wedge:

post-41873-0-54780300-1503789676_thumb.png

Since the instructions for using the flash trigger in the EM1 mk.I housing show removal and replacement of the wedge...

post-41873-0-82548600-1503790211_thumb.png

it seemed likely that the same could be done in the EM5 mk.I housing. I was hoping that one of the many E-M5 shooters here might already have tried it.

Thanks, again, for the feedback. If you have any thoughts on the above, please let me know.

BTW, I apologize for the low quality image of the EM1 housing... I grabbed it off of the net, using my phone..

ATB,

Elliot

interesting, i was told it was not usable on the original EM5 because it would not fit or align...

if there is a way to use it on the EM5 i would go for it... :)

Sponsors

Advertisements