chrisdarke

DIY fiber optic writeup with parts

On 1/26/2021 at 6:00 AM, davehicks said:

Toslink is super thin.  Get a 2mm end glow cable off of ebay.  Also avoid 90deg elbow connectors.  Just drill through an old connector from a broken cable and run it straight.

Is there a cable which is flexible enough for the 90deg elbow connectors? 

Thanks @diggy, seems it needs to be a fairly specific type of cable which allows coiling and bending!

Has anyone experimented with alternate ways of implementing a 90 degree connector? Rather than bending the cable, which requires expensive multi-core cable to get the bend radius, could a connector be built with a tiny mirror in it?

The idea is, use a cheap and reluctant to bend cable such as toslink, then have a connector with tiny mirror in the end to get a 90 degree reflection into the strobe optical receiver or out of the camera optical port.

I bent my Toslink f.o. cable in a 90 angle, dipped it for 5 seconds in boiling water, then cold water, and the 90 bend became permanent.
I can plug it into the housing and strobe without using a 90 shape plug. It should also work for other types of fiber optic cable. 

11 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

I bent my Toslink f.o. cable in a 90 angle, dipped it for 5 seconds in boiling water, then cold water, and the 90 bend became permanent.

That sounds like an interesting solution and avoids the cost of right angle plugs as well as the requirement for more expensive cable to fit into right angle plugs. What minimum bend radius did you achieve?

According to Eska (who make 1.5 mm fiber optic fiber) the minimum bend radius for a 0.5 DB loss (about 60% if I remember how to convert dB to percent) is 40 mm so quite big. For the 1 mm fiber it is 25 mm.

So not so small. 

Bill

The radius depends on the outer diameter of the Toslink cable. With 4 mm cable the radius of the right angle is about 15 mm, and with 1.8 mm cable it is about 8 mm. I bend the end of the cable into a U shape, dip the bend in boiling water for about 5 seconds, then promptly dip it in cold water.. Once cool, the right angle curve enlarges a bit, but when plugged the bend still keeps the cable near the strobe or housing.

This simple approach saves the trouble and cost of using a right angle plug. It is important to keep the time the cable is in boiling water to a few seconds to not damage its light conduction. 

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Sponsors

Advertisements