adamtaylor

Underwater Monitor for Panasonic GH5

yep, its a known issue. Unfortunatly Nauticams existing Bulkhead setup for HDMI is pretty much flawed imho, using a flimsy Micro HDMI connection.

Sounds from their message that they will have to think about a totally new solution. I multipin connector like Diveandsea is using may be more useful.

Edited by bubffm
  • Like 1

Its due to using Micro HDMI. No solution for existing GH5 housing.

They have now moved to a larger M24 port on their new housings (see the NA-XT3) so can support a straight through full size HDMI cable (so 4K60p@10bit) and they have updated the NA-FLAME to take this new cable too.

Its annoying for sure - I found out (the hard way) too!

• Like 1

The issue with HDMI V2.0 is that the cable must not break i.e. it must be a continuous cable from camera's output all the way through to the recorder.

This means that it must pass through both the camera's and (in this case) Ninja Inferno's housings. The size of plugs on the HDMI cable means that the standard M16 ports are too small.

At the BOOT show (http://www.wetpixel.com/articles/show-report-boot-2019), I was told that Nauticam has now invested in the machinery and testing gear to produce HDMI cables in house. Some new housings will have an M24 port, which will allow the HDMI cable to route without breaks and offer 4K/60 10 Bit and ProRes RAW from the Nikon Z series cameras with the Atomos Ninja V.

Adam

Its due to using Micro HDMI. No solution for existing GH5 housing.

They have now moved to a larger M24 port on their new housings (see the NA-XT3) so can support a straight through full size HDMI cable (so 4K60p@10bit) and they have updated the NA-FLAME to take this new cable too.

I also thought the issue is the micro HDMI however I have not found any documentation to say that micro HDMI is limited to 1.4 in fact there are 2.0 cables

One of the things to be considered is the number of interfaces and the reliability the current set up has 2 cables and 3 interfaces:

1. Cable in the monitor (likely full size)

2. Cable in the housing (micro to full)

3. Connection to the monitor, bulkhead to monitor cable, bulkhead to camera

Even if you overcome the limit of the connector the interfaces remain I am unsure if this will be able to reliably transmit the data rate required

Yes, sorry I wasnt being clear enough.

There is indeed micro hdmi cables that support HDMI2.0 - its the combination of micro hdmi and the number of breaks in the cable that appear to be the issue. Breaks in full size cables (well at least 90 adapters) dont seem to stop 4k@60 signals, but just one adaptor with micro hdmi seems to stop It.

Edited by thetrickster
  • Like 1

Did You just spend the money before had got to know it? Sad.

Edited by WillFalcon

Sponsors

Advertisements