silverhippi

If you could only afford one lens, which one?

I am putting together a full-frame system with Ikelite and Nikon D800.

I can really only afford one lens at the moment and am torn between:

nikon af-s nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8g ed

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520635-USA/Nikon_2163_AF_S_Zoom_Nikkor_14_24mm.html

and

nikon nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8 d ed if

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186250-USA/Nikon_1960_AF_S_Zoom_Nikkor_17_35mm.html

Primary use of this setup will be in N. Florida Caverns/Caves.

Any experienced input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dominick

I would go with the 14-24mm f/2.8g ed as its the wider of the two and will allow you to get closer to your subject giving better colour, contrast, clarity etc. However, i think you should really consider a fisheye for underwater. It's a bit useless topside but i shoot 90% of my wide angle stuff underwater on fish eye. Allows me to get super close and still fit the whole subject in.

Good luck!

• Like 1

On land I love the 17-35 f2,8 for make reportage but underwater I use only fish lenses. For the cave I think that the 15mm sigma fish eye is better that the wide ange zooms.

Neither lens is very good behind a dome port.

The 16-35 f/4 is actually much better (and cheaper too).

Bear in mind all 3 will need a 9"dome to get the best results...

Adam

Wider is better for caves, especially where you can't back up because there's a wall in the way. I prefer the rectilinear lenses but you do need to look at performance behind a dome port. Maybe consider a wide prime rather than a zoom? For cave diving there is almost no reason to zoom - why not just swim closer?

• Like 1

16-35 f/4 hands down. I had to decide bw that and the 14-24 a while ago but saw that the 14-24 really struggled in corners for people and 16-35 was 2/3 the price.

Personally I'm happy - I find the 35mm end very useful at times and it takes filters. I use a 9" dome which I think is virtually required for wide rectilinear.

I do occasionally crave some wider coverage though. Not a huge fan of the easier-to-use fisheyes.

Chris

Sponsors

Advertisements