tursiops

Probably going to scrap Lightroom for ON1

I assume you deactivated your copy on the old computer first before trying to install and re-activate it on the new device? Have you also been on the various forums dedicated to lightroom? Adobe themselves are unlikely to be helpful as their mission is to migrate you to the cloud subscription model.

Can you access the files on your old computer at all? What happened to it - Hard drive crash? or something else. If the hard drive with your original lightroom copy works, perhaps you could extract it from your old iMac install it is an external Hard drive enclosure and see if you read the catalogue from that drive on your new computer.

You should be able to deactivate all copies from your Adobe account. Although, knowing Adobe's recent (or not so recent anymore) antics it is probably hidden in a way that makes it near impossible to find.

To go back to the main topic... I've yet to find an alternative that does all the things Lightroom does in a way that pleases me. I've not tried all the competitors (I really have better things to do), but the one features that always comes up (and is not related to UW use) is the Panorama and HDR function. Retaining RAW format for Panos as well as the the very natural looking HDR (just increased dynamic range/no tone mapping) is unfortunately unparalleled in any competitor.

For now I am sticking with LR6, but I can see myself moving to CC soon to be able to edit on my iPad on the go. I'm not happy about the pricetag, but it is by far the best solution out there. I am hopeful that one day Affinity can add a DAM to their fantastic Photo software, but at the moment they don't seem to be working on it. At least they are very quiet about any development that might be going on in that direction...

I agree that LR is currently the best among the alternatives. And I appreciate all the suggestions. Unfortunately none are working so far. Ill keep trying.

Posted (edited)

Except only one of those scenarios has to happen, and in my case, one did. I changed computers, and zap, no more access. I didn't jump out of the boat, I was pushed.

If you have a subscription, I suspect you forgot your password. I have Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop running on two computers without any problems or difficulty. If I have a problem, I have no doubt that I can call Adobe support and get the problem sorted, even if it takes a couple of hours on the phone. On earlier versions they helped me get discounts that I'm not entirely sure I was entitled to. Adobe is still pretty decent, they are not Google and for what you get their prices are reasonable.

Edited by ScubaLute

I'm using LR 6 (purchase) and to this point have loved it. Sadly, it won't import raw files from my new camera - the Olympus TG-6. I tried installing the raw camera update, but that seems to have been totally ignored.

Finally I installed the latest raw converter and converted all the raw images to DNG and was able to import them into LR 6.

But - I don't consider that ideal.

Today I got an email offering me Luminar 3 for a pretty good "one time & forever" price. I'm tempted. Some on-line comparisons show the latest (May 2019) version is a pretty good compeditor for LR.

Sadly, the trial I downloaded won't install. I have a call (email really) in to their tech support but so far it's not a promising start.

@ScubaLute: I don’t have a subscription, I have the standalone version of LR6 that was sold as a perpetual license, as explained in my first post. My password is fine and I can sign in/out of my Adobe account no problem. When I changed computers and signed in, a box popped up saying I could activate a 30 day trial of the software I licensed years ago. Nothing I do will change that, Adobe does not respond, and when the 30 days expired I lost access. Call me a cynic but this sure feels like Adobe has found a way to take the “perpetual” away from the remaining standalone users. If you have a phone number that gets you through to actually helpful Adobe tech support please share it!

You normally make that go away by enetering your product key that came with the purchase.Try unisntalling it and reinstalling it and find the spot where you enter your product key.

Quick update: Within 24 hours of my tech support email about Luminar3, I got a reply with a link to an actual windows (.msi) installer. That worked perfectly.

I started looking at Luminar3 due to an emailed deal that was slightly better than 50% of the standard price, which also hit my personal "sweet spot" for stuff I'll buy just to try it out. After playing with the trial version for a little while, I bought the full version at the sale price.

The good news is that because Luminar3 is updated very regularly, the latest version (May 2019) easily imported my Olympus TG-6 raw images. Sweet.

As I still have LR6 (full purchase) and now Luminar3, I'll post any findings/thoughts as I start to use it and get a better sense of how it compares to LR6.

• Like 1

What does the subscription option offer that version 6 does not?

There are a number of LR Guru's that can comment on this. Check out https://laurashoe.com/beginners-getting-started-with-lightroom/. Laura ran a webinar earlier this year comparing LR6 to Classic which convinced me to move to Classic. Bottom line, there are no new features being added to LR6.

• Like 1

There are a number of LR Guru's that can comment on this. Check out https://laurashoe.com/beginners-getting-started-with-lightroom/. Laura ran a webinar earlier this year comparing LR6 to Classic which convinced me to move to Classic. Bottom line, there are no new features being added to LR6.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Posted (edited)

I never bought into Lightroom, I've been a Photoshop user for over 20 years and currently use a standalone copy of CS6. I see no value of note being added to the programs by Adobe. Lightroom to me is just not capable enough it does not even have levels adjustment available which to me is so fundamental I could not imagine using imaging software without - yes there are workarounds but they are not so straight forward to use.

The other issue with Lightroom is that the format your adjustments are stored in is proprietary. Yes you can export tifs and jpegs but most people don't I store layered tifs from Photoshop and they are widely readable. But if you can't install standalone LR on your new computer or have other issues you are locked out of all the adjustments you have done. Likewise if you discontinue your subscription you are instantly locked out of your adjusted images unless you have exported a tiff file as part of your workflow.

When I bought a new camera that CS6 could not read the RAW format for, I bought standalone Capture 1 Pro. It has DAM and the raw engine is arguably superior to Adobe Camera Raw. The learning curve can be a little steep, but it does have good tutorials available and you can adjust levels in raw development, I've found it to be a good solution.

Edited by ChrisRoss

Posted (edited)

For someone who is not a Lightroom user you sure know a lot about how you think people fail to use it effectively. Seriously if you don't export to jpg then why did you take the photos? If course everyone does that!

And the images are not locked up if you can't buy the apps. Worst case you install the trial version and have a month to take care of business.

Finally you can save xmp sidebars for every image and then Photoshop or other apps can read your edited Raw images.

Edited by davehicks

I never said the photos are locked up- it's the changes you did to them that are locked away - you can see the end result in whatever you have exported but if you want to make changes later for whatever reason you have to start from scratch. I hear about people losing access regularly and a poster up above is going through this for a 15,000 image catalogue. Layered tiffs don't have this issue.

I never said the photos are locked up- it's the changes you did to them that are locked away - you can see the end result in whatever you have exported but if you want to make changes later for whatever reason you have to start from scratch. I hear about people losing access regularly and a poster up above is going through this for a 15,000 image catalogue. Layered tiffs don't have this issue.

No one should fear getting cut off from LR. The XMP sidecar files that can optionally be created for every single image in LR are imported by other apps and reflect your edits. Adobe Bridge (a Free image management and viewing tool) can read the XMP files to incorporate your LR edits to a RAW file for example. Bridge can then bluk convert/export to JPG, Tiff, etc as needed. So the idea that your LR files, edits, or catalog might be lost is exaggerated. There is a simple solution to alleviate this concern.

https://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-use-lightroom-edits-outside-of-lightroom--cms-21776

OK, I have a happy ending to report, here is what happened.

When my old computer died (catastrophically, with no recovery possible) I bought a new one and restored everything from a Time Machine backup. What I learned from a helpful Adobe tech support rep is that license info among other attributes is not saved in a backup. The solution is to "sign out" of the old copy then reactivate a new copy. Except this is impossible if you don't have access to the old machine to deactivate. Trust me, it doesn't work going to your Adobe account from a different machine! Eventually the rep found a back end way to deactivate my account manually, which then gave me the ability to reinstall and reactivate with my original licence code.

So for those who think that "no one should fear getting cut off from LR", good on ya, cultivate some helpful tech reps. Also, advising that all would be good had you managed your library differently for the last 10 years, is seriously unhelpful. I am a lowly amateur who didn't even know about such exotica as XMP sidecars and had no ability to create them after losing access. That is just not useful advice.

I know better now, and will be exporting JPEGs of all final images. I will also be actively seeking alternatives

Excellent you got your "Happy Ending", Robert. Well done!

It's helpful to know the issue about Signing Off - and then On again. Definitely worth knowing that when changing machines!

Good luck with your hunt for an alternative.......

I am detecting a little bit of internet hostility here. You present a problem you frustratingly can't solve on an internet forum. People start offering suggestions. You complain that the suggestions offered assume that you are a lowly amateur. (I am sure you are not) BTW, it is discussions like this that helped myself and many others to learn UWP and Post Processing. Just because you know a thing does not mean that others in the audience might learn something. Then you finally solve the problem by doing what absolutely should have been step #1 - Calling Adobe's 1-800 Support center.

This is just poor form and etiquette. Don't go soliciting for assistance and then lash out at those who attempted to help. Nobody was rude to you are talked down to you. I am glad you were able to resolve your problems.

I am detecting a little bit of internet hostility here. You present a problem you frustratingly can't solve on an internet forum. People start offering suggestions. You complain that the suggestions offered assume that you are a lowly amateur. (I am sure you are not) BTW, it is discussions like this that helped myself and many others to learn UWP and Post Processing. Just because you know a thing does not mean that others in the audience might learn something. Then you finally solve the problem by doing what absolutely should have been step #1 - Calling Adobe's 1-800 Support center.

This is just poor form and etiquette. Don't go soliciting for assistance and then lash out at those who attempted to help. Nobody was rude to you are talked down to you. I am glad you were able to resolve your problems.

You are perhaps too sensitive or too defensive, I can't tell which. The poster had a problem with an old catalog and a dead computer. Posting about making XMP files is indeed not helpful for his specific problem, although I have now set up my LR to make such files routinely; thanks for that. (I note that neither you or I found out about such files from Adobe...) Posting about calling Adobe is prima fascia good advice, but I'll wager that for everyone who has called Adobe and got a knowledgeable tech like troporobo did, there are 50 of us who found it a frustrating waste of time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Let's recap and summarize.

Q: How do I rescue my files from Lightroom when I don't want to pay Adobe any longer or have been locked out of my Account?

A: Step 1) Install Lightroom free trial on a new PC (which was the OP's situation)

Step 2) Import your old LR catalog and turn on XMP file generation

Step 3) Uninstall the free Lightroom trial software

Step 4) Install the totally free Adobe Bridge app (or Photoshop, etc) and open any file you every processed in Lightroom with edits intact thanks to the XMP sidecar files.

Edited by davehicks

Dude, relax. You are the one making assumptions. I have already explained that I don't have a subscription, and tried with tech support many times. You react with "probably you lost your license, just keep paying Adobe, then install other software you don't need, and you should have been working differently anyway". i am sure you're trying to be helpful. The advice just didn't fit my situation. So let's move on to other solutions.

Have a look at Capture One Pro - the raw conversions are very good, and it now has a very full range of features. _ you can download a one month free trial. The learning curve can be steep, but they have good resources with a good range of video tutorials.

Sponsors

Advertisements