tursiops

Probably going to scrap Lightroom for ON1

Thanks Tim

Looks like the path of least resistance, so it will likely be mine...

Anyway Happy New Year to all from snowy Vernon BC, buried under 70cm of fresh snow overnight. Thinkin' about blue water and sandy beaches...

ian

3 hours ago, ianmarsh said:

Thanks Tim

Looks like the path of least resistance, so it will likely be mine...

Anyway Happy New Year to all from snowy Vernon BC, buried under 70cm of fresh snow overnight. Thinkin' about blue water and sandy beaches...

ian

There is always a possible workaround.  This article outlines one way to do it:

https://au.pcmag.com/vmware-fusion-8-for-mac/63913/how-to-run-32-bit-apps-in-macos-catalina

In theory you could just run the installers from your virtual machine or a partioned boot and never have to go back to it.

Another idea is scrap your new operating system and run an older operating version.

I have held off on an upgrade due this lightroom issue myself.

I'm going thru some of this lightroom crap now-I have a new in box version of lightroom 5 with new unused license code-as I'm not ready to start paying fees every year

and am thinking about installing it on my 3 year old macbbook pro that operates with High Serria 10.13.6 nowhere could I find 32 or 64 bit info

or I can put it on my huge  screen mac desktop running OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)which I will do 98% of editing on That computer  which is running lightroom 3 now with no issues.

I may just cave at some point and buy into the yearly fees 

Thanks guys, great suggestions.

The MacPro ships with Catalina and according to Apple cannot run on anything older...

I think I am painted into a corner, but Chris' idea might get some traction

I used to use VMWare Fusion some years ago on my MacbookPro to run the Uwatec software (the Mac version was horrible) under Windows. It worked really well. Worth a go for sure - although if you have to buy Fusion, you’ll be half way to a year’s Adobe subscription already.... :dance:

So, I got a shiny new MacPro for my business, in my home office... sweet!!
Transferred from my 2010 MacPro by swapping over drives and updating software... sweet!!
Only issue was Lightroom 6.14. Needs to be reinstalled... let's see?
Turns out that Lightroom 6.14 is 64 bit software, but the flipping' Adobe installer is 32 bit and will NOT install the application on this machine.
I am now faced with the dillemma of subscription vs another platform. I did not see this coming. 
Thanks, Adobe.
I use LR sub which I also think is worth the money. But can also recommend Luminar 4. It's a one off payment for life and in a nutshell is virtually identical to LR, with a lot of the functions of PS thrown in and a sprinkling of AI throughout. It's library function is more or less like LR too. Worth looking into.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Anyone using Luminar??I think they noiw have a library for images ?

I bought Luminar 3, and made suggestions for new features which were ignored. Fair enough, but then came all the hype about Luminar 4, with a price tag I was unwilling to pay for a few more features.

So beware: A Luminar "lifetime" license is ONLY a license for the major version number you buy. In my case it's 3. It gives me nothing with respect to 4 except a feeble upgrade discount.

I paid less for my Luminar 3 via on-line 3rd party special than Luminar's own 'deals' on 4 by almost 50%. To me it's not worth upgrading, as the missing features (i.e. not in 3, not in 4) were essential to my personal workflow.

I'm still using Lightroom 5 installed on my PC.

I use Oracle's VirtualBox for my Virtual machines, and have done for a few years now. I had purchased VMWare but got tired of the annual '$69.95 or more CDN' annual 'upgrade' fee.

I bought Luminar 3, and made suggestions for new features which were ignored. Fair enough, but then came all the hype about Luminar 4, with a price tag I was unwilling to pay for a few more features.
So beware: A Luminar "lifetime" license is ONLY a license for the major version number you buy. In my case it's 3. It gives me nothing with respect to 4 except a feeble upgrade discount.
I paid less for my Luminar 3 via on-line 3rd party special than Luminar's own 'deals' on 4 by almost 50%. To me it's not worth upgrading, as the missing features (i.e. not in 3, not in 4) were essential to my personal workflow.
I'm still using Lightroom 5 installed on my PC.
I use Oracle's VirtualBox for my Virtual machines, and have done for a few years now. I had purchased VMWare but got tired of the annual '$69.95 or more CDN' annual 'upgrade' fee.
I upgraded to version 4 but in all honesty version 3 or even Luminar Flex is good enough. I work 90% in LR, then sometimes export to Luminar for an odd tweak, back into LR for final adjustments. I likely won't upgrade to the next version unless it's a gamechanging one.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements