soki

help deciding with Threaded Filter for UW photography

Hi there.

I have some basic questions, I 'd love some feedback from those that used a Threaded Filter for underwater photography. I will have my answers in two weeks , but I prefer not to ruin a dive or two :).

I just bought a Threaded Red Filter and searching a bit on the usage I found some details that I cannot put together.

In some place was written that with Threaded Filter you have to decide if you gonna use it or not before getting underwater since you cannot take it out and put it back while diving. So tighten it before jumping in the water.

On another e shop I found a Threaded Red Filter for sale that had specified that can be attached /detached underwater.

First question is: are there different Threaded Filters, some that will allow some that will not allow you to attached /detached them underwater?

Second: If I tighten the Threaded Filter really well while still dry, as the first statement suggest, is there any chance it will crack because the pressure and the air layer between the filter and port? Not sure if tighten it will make the connection air / water tight.

For reference: I use a Sony RX100 M1 with Meikon case. It has a 67 mm diameter for filter.

Thanx!

Sorin

Hi Sorin

If you have a housing for your camera, which can take a filter on the outside (normally 67mm or 77mm) then this filter can be safely removed or attached while underwater. There is normal enough of gap (normally a cutout) for allowing water to pass between the filter and the front of the housing.

These same filters (although maybe in smaller diameters) can be used directly on your camera, while its inside the housing, then this becomes an issue as you cannot remove it while diving. You might consider an internally fitted filter, if you are using a dome with your using instead of the flat port.

• Like 2

Sponsors

Advertisements