Hi folks, not sure if I should have started a new thread but decided to jump on this one as there are a lot of good suggestions for video lights. I'm also looking to fork out for one (possibly two) video lights. I reckon its the best thing I can do to improve my video until (hopefully) going FF later this year. The SUPE/Scubalamp V6K pro look great so I'm swaying towards them. I might drop Dreifish a PM to see if he has any left.

I'm in Thailand and there seems to be a new kid on the block: X-Adventurer M6000-WRBT. It's 6000 lumens, scores 90 CRI, 110 degree flood, and seems very adjustable. Just wondered if anyone has had experience of them? They are a bit cheaper than the VK6's but not a whole lot given the VK's are more powerful. Not too many youtube video's available for M6000's so difficult to decide.

I'm no expert in video lights (given I'm presently using one Mares EOSrz12 I found on a reef!) so any advice is appreciated.

http://www.xadventurer.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=90

I talked to Scubalamp and they can produce VK6PRO 12000lumens at 90 degrees if we do a minimun order of 10 units. I woul be interested in 2 units by now….

• Like 2

I talked to Scubalamp and they can produce VK6PRO 12000lumens at 90 degrees if we do a minimun order of 10 units. I woul be interested in 2 units by now….

Did they mention a price for these?

• Like 1

I talked to Scubalamp and they can produce VK6PRO 12000lumens at 90 degrees if we do a minimun order of 10 units. I woul be interested in 2 units by now.

Hi TaxiDiver. Happy new year! I'd also be interested in the price. Is the 90 degrees preferable to 120? Is that so the light is less scattered? Sorry for the Newb question but only ever worked with 1 basic video light and looking to up my game. Thanks.

I d be interested too if the price is ok for me

I do have a couple more V6Ks around :) In fact, I have 2 lightly used ones that I'd let go for $400 each, in their original box w/ accessories.

Personally, I think the 6000 lumen lights are kind of a waste. They're not really powerful enough for daytime wide angle video (in tropical waters) and too powerful for macro-only lights. If you do a lot of wide angle shooting, you're probably better off saving up for some slightly more powerful model.

Scubalamp now makes the V9K and V12Ks, which are 18000 lumens and 24000 lumens respectively. They run about twice the price of the V6Ks though and still have a dome front element, so 120* beam angle.

Another interesting option is the new Jaunt G18 Plus light advertised at 18000 lumens. I'm hopefully going to test one out this trip and let you guys know how accurate that rating is. Size wise, it seems quite nice, with the added bonus that it has a flat front element, so should be a narrower beam. Priced over $1000 though.

Flat vs domed front elements -- 90* vs 120* beam angle basically. I think the choice comes down to what lens you're shooting with normally. With rectilinear lenses, I think 2 (or more) 90* lights will provide the best illumination and allow you to shape the light to avoid backscatter easier than the 120*. But if you commonly find yourself filming with a fish-eye, then the 120* beams are a better bet. You might still need 3 of them though to fully cover a 180* fish-eye field of view.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Those Jaunt G18 - look great! Great size too.

The V6K would be pretty stellar with a flat port option too, its shame its a sealed unit so we can't replace the dome with a flat port.

Agreed 120 v 90. I personally would prefer a couple of 90's instead of the 120 I have now.

I see Jaunt do ($$$$) a 30,000lm light also, a little warmer at 5000k and only CRI90, but 98' in water - crikey 30,000lm!!!!

Edited by thetrickster

Hi TaxiDiver. Happy new year! I'd also be interested in the price. Is the 90 degrees preferable to 120? Is that so the light is less scattered? Sorry for the Newb question but only ever worked with 1 basic video light and looking to up my game. Thanks.

I would use 120 degrees with FF lenses from 8 to 16mm and 90 degrees for FF lenses from 18 to 24mm...

I d be interested too if the price is ok for me

Price same as VK6PRO.... 898US.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I talked to Scubalamp and they can produce VK6PRO 12000lumens at 90 degrees if we do a minimun order of 10 units. I woul be interested in 2 units by now.

I would take 2 as well!

What would the price be?

Oh I just realised the whole light head has to be replaced so it wont come cheap. For the price of a new set of lights I would rather pass tbh.

If we could send them in and have just the glass replaced somehow thereby cutting down on the cost Id be very interested.

Edited by Pajjpen

As Interceptor mentioned, the V6K can be made with flat fronts if you order at least 10 of them.

But I think the Jaunt G18/G18 plus may be a better option than the Scubalamp V6K/V6K pro. The main benefits of the G18: (a) 18k lumens vs 12k, so half a stop brighter; (b) battery compartment can be swapped without removing the whole light from your rig; © a much more responsive and larger control button with the ability to program two seperate light exposure levels; (d) 5000k color temperature vs 5600k, so should be able to set your white balance cooler and get nicer blue water backgrounds; and (e) the G18 Plus is 200g less negative in the water than the V6K Pro. So power and ergonomics.

On the other hand, Scubalamp has two advantages: (a) they make blue (ambient light) filters for the V6Ks while Jaunt doesn't yet and (b) they apparently now make a remote trigger that can be attached to your camera handle and can turn multiple of their lights on and off simultaneously.

For full disclosure, I've been a dealer for Scubalamp since last year and I'm now also a dealer for Jaunt.

(a) they make blue (ambient light) filters for the V6Ks while Jaunt doesn't yet and

Thats interesting - tell me more. I cant see any mention on dealers websites etc.

post-42872-0-59955100-1547192837_thumb.jpg

It is in their latest dealer catalog, but the website might not yet have been updated. Retail price is $79 each.

Just bought a set of Scubalamp V6K (not pro's). (From Dreifish, highly recommended BTW, thank you).

Massive upgrade from my previous single Mares EOS rz12 1200 lumens.

Had a quick chance to briefly test them on a couple dives. My initial impression is just wow! I need a few more dives to play around with different white balance options however the spread and quality of light is just beautiful. I'm very impressed.

I'll continue to test them over the next few weeks and report back. Initial impression is they are great.

I'd be interested in finding out about the remote trigger Dreifish mentioned. That would be the icing on the cake.

Edited by Placebo365
  • Like 1

Hey all

Would it not be possible to just reduce the angle on the V6K pro by mounting an external lens?

I have 2 of them and also find the angle to much.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:52 AM, TaxiDiver14 said:

Selling minesemoji16.png

@TaxiDiver14 to buy what?
I am in just this dilemma and sick of the misinformation by some suppliers.. namely quoting light output based on the LED chip they are using, not what the actual torch is capable of, making it very difficult to make an informed decision.

At the moment, I am looking for two torches for casual video use and off camera stills photography (wrecks etc). I use a 15mm FE mostly, but also a 16~35mm rectilinear. FF camera.

My short list
SUPE V6K Pro
BigBlue VL15000P-Pro-MINI-TC
DivePro G15 Pro (Jaunt)
X-Adventure M15000

My Summary to date
SUPE V6K Pro
Probably a more honest 12,000 lm over a wide area, realistic burn time for size of battery and output.
More negative in the water than I would like @ -560g
A fair asking price
Has ambient filters available
Innovative mount allows light to rotate to access control BUT has to be de-rigged to change battery?
https://www.scubalamp.com/products/photo-video-lights/v6k-pro-12000-lumens-100.html

I really want to believe the hype but can't. Stated burn time (2 hours) for that light output hard to believe and BB won't provide any evidence. I suspect it's maybe not a true 15,000 lumens and doesn't have consistent output through burn time?
-310g underwater is best in class
Smallest physical dimensions of all
Could turn out to be an expensive mistake.
https://bigbluedivelights.com/products/15000-lumen-video-light-warm-white-feature/

DivePro G15 Plus (Jaunt)
I already have 2 D90F, nice build quality, but I doubt their quoted light output figures.
Good pedigree LED chip, but apart from a good CRI no further info
Creditable 2 year warranty
Getting more expensive
https://www.divepro.com/product/divepro-g15-plus-15000-lumens-super-bright-led-underwater-video-light-wide-beam-scuba-diving-torch-photo-flashlight/

X-Adventurer M15000
An interesting proposition, possibly wider beam (130°) than I want or need?
Nice control method if it lasts (10 step rotary control)
Quoted Constant Current circuitry to maintain light output throughout burn time (50" @ 15,000 lm)
Colour rendering as good as the SUPE V6K: CRI Ra96     TCLI 97 - R9:94
-480g negative, slightly better than SUPE V6K, but heaviest on land (important for that weight allowance), slightly shorter than the V6K
The remote looks very cool
http://www.xadventurer.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=131

[mention=47584]TaxiDiver14[/mention] to buy what?
I am in just this dilemma and sick of the misinformation by some suppliers.. namely quoting light output based on the LED chip they are using, not what the actual torch is capable of, making it very difficult to make an informed decision.

At the moment, I am looking for two torches for casual video use and off camera stills photography (wrecks etc). I use a 15mm FE mostly, but also a 16~35mm rectilinear. FF camera.

My short list
SUPE V6K Pro
DivePro G15 Pro (Jaunt)
X-Adventure M15000

My Summary to date
SUPE V6K Pro
Probably a more honest 12,000 lm over a wide area, realistic burn time for size of battery and output.
More negative in the water than I would like @ -560g
A fair asking price
Innovative mount allows light to rotate to access control BUT has to be de-rigged to change battery?
https://www.scubalamp.com/products/photo-video-lights/v6k-pro-12000-lumens-100.html

I really want to believe the hype but can't. Stated burn time (2 hours) for that light output hard to believe and BB won't provide any evidence. I suspect it's maybe not a true 15,000 lumens and doesn't have consistent output through burn time?
-310g underwater is best in class
Smallest physical dimensions of all
Could turn out to be an expensive mistake.
https://bigbluedivelights.com/products/15000-lumen-video-light-warm-white-feature/

DivePro G15 Plus (Jaunt)
I already have 2 D90F, nice build quality, but I doubt their quoted light output figures.
Good pedigree LED chip, but apart from a good CRI no further info
Creditable 2 year warranty
Getting more expensive
https://www.divepro.com/product/divepro-g15-plus-15000-lumens-super-bright-led-underwater-video-light-wide-beam-scuba-diving-torch-photo-flashlight/
X-Adventurer M15000
An interesting proposition, possibly wider beam (130°) than I want or need?
Nice control method if it lasts (10 step rotary control)
Quoted Constant Current circuitry to maintain light output throughout burn time (50" @ 15,000 lm)
Colour rendering as good as the SUPE V6K: CRI Ra96     TCLI 97 - R9:94
-480g negative, slightly better than SUPE V6K, but heaviest on land (important for that weight allowance), slightly shorter than the V6K
The remote looks very cool
http://www.xadventurer.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=131

Well you are lucky now... Im selling my G18PLUS

8 minutes ago, TaxiDiver14 said:

Filmed with G18PLUS...

Very nice @TaxiDiver14 how many G18's and on what setting please?
Why are you selling them?  Not happy yet?

I like your editing / grading, not too punchy. Have you used the ambient filters?

Sponsors

Advertisements