Sign in to follow this  
robigto

Is this wet close-up lens in useable condition?

Hi,

I bought this used lens, I saw some strips on the lens, the owner meant that this is normal traces of usage, I didn´t think much and paid it.

At home I have found more strips on the lens, there is foil-like things at the margin, which seem to have been dissolved.

Do you think if this lens is still useable underwater? If useable, so all the used wet lens look like this?

Or I have bought a defect one?

Thank you,

Robigto

post-68335-0-60522900-1512330338_thumb.jpg

post-68335-0-44544500-1512330400_thumb.jpg

post-68335-0-81103500-1512330425_thumb.jpg

Hi, looks like mineral deposits from the water as it dries. First try vinegar, half w distilled water, overnight. Then very doft toothpaste to rub it out. On one lens I had to use cerium oxide polishing, but this is a bit extreme.

This is why all lenses must be hand dried w a soft cloth right after being wet, otherwise the calcium and magnesium in the water combine with the glass and can be very difficult to remove. Let us know how it works.

I agree, looks like mineral deposits, should be able to clean as described. Definitely not all look like this however! But since it is a wet lens, there's no harm in trying it on the housing regardless, any residual marks may not be visible in your images.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements