BSC_Matt

lens reflecting in dome port

I got back from my first real dive day with my first underwater setup and in a few images I am seeing my lens being reflected in the image.

See images below but you will see the text normally seen on the front of a lens (focal length, F-stop) showing in the lower corners of the frame. This only happened on a few frames, all at the same zoom length.

Any thoughts?

Tech specs (I know it's mirrorless)

Sony a6500

10-18mm

Fantasia Housing

post-68824-0-17026300-1517193962_thumb.jpg

post-68824-0-11029900-1517194026_thumb.jpg

Edited by BSC_Matt

Hey Matt

This has been discussed a few times with all sorts of imaginative suggestions and tips being offered. It'd be worth searching the forums.

Ideas have included painting/taping over the lens lettering around the glass; and there are a couple of devices available which slide over the lens barrel and form a black, cloth/material barrier between the glass of the dome and the body of the camera.

The problem seems to be worse when shooting into the light. I've had it a good few times when shooting into the light, especially, with a fisheye. Editing it out can be a right pain!

Tim

I used electrical tape over the lettering but found the textured edge of the lens still comes up occasionally... I'll try some more tape next time... fyi, this is discussed quite a bit on another forum...

I have used black gaffesr tape and it has worked best for me. I found electrical tape to be a little more reflective in certain lighting conditions, especially when using a surf housing, and I am above water shooting surfers.

I used on my Fuji E900 first the tape and sharpie version to nt ruin the lens pinting directly on it.
After some time the painters tape came loose and got pulled inside the lens when lens retracted.
From them i use to paint the front of the lens with a black sharpie, looks shitty but does the trick.
Chris

I have used black gaffesr tape and it has worked best for me. I found electrical tape to be a little more reflective in certain lighting conditions, especially when using a surf housing, and I am above water shooting surfers.

Yes, gaffer's tape does not leave a residue when removed and sticks very good. No reflective etc. I use it on camera and when shooting 4x5t to attach filters to the back of lenses.

For years I’ve been using a rapidograph with black ink to fill in white lettering on the from of my lenses. Have used a black marker to cover white lettering on the front side of camera bodies and to cover any shiny pieces of metal inside of housings.

Sponsors

Advertisements