Sign in to follow this  
pineapplepoundcake

Is it worth upgrading a Panasonic G7 to G85 just for IBIS (stabilization)?

Hello! Like the title states, is it worth spending the money to upgrade from a G7 to G85? How effective is IBIS stabilization underwater? Even with a double handed rig?

Purpose of this camera is for marine conservation purposes - on land and in water - interviews, day-to-day, marine life, volunteer work, etc. So that rules out the GX85, because of no mic input. So next contender is the G85. I already have the lenses for m4/3, so I want to just change bodies.

I think it is not worth buying a new camera plus UW housing just because of image stabilisation (nice to have, but not really limiting).

=> If in your case I would go for a second hand housing for GX7 (if you do not have housing yet) and upgrade later to a new camera plus housing, but with 20 Mpix sensor (and of course IS)...

Wolfgang

Upgrading just for IBIS seems to be quite costly for what you get. Especially because you would be upgrading to a body with basically the same sensor.

I think it is not worth buying a new camera plus UW housing just because of image stabilisation (nice to have, but not really limiting).

=> If in your case I would go for a second hand housing for GX7 (if you do not have housing yet) and upgrade later to a new camera plus housing, but with 20 Mpix sensor (and of course IS)...

Wolfgang

It's not the GX7, it's G7. Since the older brother of G7 is G85, I do I have the money to upgrade. But I'd like to know if IBIS really helps stabilizing video while diving. OR does a rig already do that well enough that I don't need IBIS?

Of course IS helps, but it is no substitute for keeping the camera steady. You cannot jitter around, IS or not...

It depends whether you have the housing already - this is normally more expensive than the camera itself. And housing a G85 is, to my opinion, not worth any more (unless you get a used housing cheap) ...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements