kc_moses

Who is excited about Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K?

The housing is not going to be as cheap as the camera.

No housing is going to be as cheap as the camera unless they're made out of polycarbonate. It's still too soon to speculate the BMCC 4K in the field practical use. The camera can be charged through the USB-C, so depends on how its wiring is, you never know there could be a way to power it through USB-C. As for file size, I dove with someone with Canon 1DX II, with 4K 60fps, he can only shoot 25 minutes of stuffs before the card fill up. Many of this "limitation" is really depend on personal style. For most dive, I don't shoot more than 30 minutes of footage (with each clip is around 10-20 seconds). If the sensor perform as good as GH5S, it could be a good compromise for almost 50% off the price of the GH5S.

Edited by kc_moses

Not everything good on land is good underwater...

I agree, after my bad experience with FS100 (unusable MWB underwater) and GH2 (color banding with ambient lighting), I would rather wait for real examples before pulling the trigger.

The official documentation has been released

The BMPCC has the same sensor of the Panasonic GH5s it does have a white balance button but it is unclear if you can set custom white balance

It has no stabiliser and one SD slot and one cfast slot

It is unclear which lenses will support autofocus

I believe the key strength on land is the ability to connect a usb drive to record and with the 5” screen this could be a killer

However if white balance cant set a value this could be painful because cameraraw requires very expensive cards and without a stabiliser quite a bit of post processing to be excepted

On land this looks very promising underwater we need to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If a housing is made for this camera, I’ll buy it in a heart beat :) as I said in the same thread earlier. And I’ll go for raw.

A well balanced rig with a stabilized lens and a bit of post stabilization would do the job for me. And yes, I hope Black Magic squeezes mor dynamic range from this sensor than Panasonic did.

Strange, people in South East Asia already get their BPCC4K?This one is from Thailand:

Edited by kc_moses

I will never grasp the relevance of unboxing-videos...

• Like 1

The only thing I’ve learned from watching that is the BMPCC4K does indeed have the ability to Manual White Balance - which Incepter asked earlier. However as you would be shooting RAW CNG you would be setting in post I presume.

It’s a chunky camera for sure.

Unboxing videos = “I got one early, unlike you” LOL

The only thing I’ve learned from watching that is the BMPCC4K does indeed have the ability to Manual White Balance - which Incepter asked earlier. However as you would be shooting RAW CNG you would be setting in post I presume.

It’s a chunky camera for sure.

Unboxing videos = “I got one early, unlike you” LOL

I believe when you shoot in ambient light white balance is always a good thing to do even unless you are using lights

When I take stills I white balance even with raw

Good news on the white balance for this camera and the interface appear useable underwater certainly more than Ninja V. May work well for macro shots on tripods but not as a fin about camera in my view

• Like 1

I believe when you shoot in ambient light white balance is always a good thing to do even unless you are using lights

When I take stills I white balance even with raw

Good news on the white balance for this camera and the interface appear useable underwater certainly more than Ninja V. May work well for macro shots on tripods but not as a fin about camera in my view

It is true that RAW allows easy WB adjustment in post but doing it before shooting is one step less and a better practice to ease the workflow. There are the situation where you need to capture the action immediately before doing WB.

Re. Focus mechanism, it is most likely that it acts like manual focus. This is how it was implemented in their previous cameras.

What I like about this camera is the better dynamic range. With my GH5s, I’ve to choose between the highlights or the shadows.

Unboxing video = Finally BM delivered a cam on time :)

There is a report that the battery life is better than expected. I hope the housing companies make room to put in the external SSD, as that will save you $2000 to buy CF card that's fast enough to shoot RAW.

The focus mechanism of the BMPCC4K is basically just like using "Back button focus", it's the style I have been using for years.

The deal breaker for me is no any sort of IS.

Panasonic will announce their Full Frame camera on Sept 26, so it seems like every few months we have something new to look forward to. There is no point to pre-order the BMPCC4K at this point.

Strange, people in South East Asia already get their BPCC4K?This one is from Thailand:

He is a director in Thailand. He will be running a BMPCC4K demonstration event held by Blackmagic in Bangkok on 28 Sep. That is the reason he got the camera this early.

"

Blackmagic Design Day Bangkok Take part in a live production featuring the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K!

Join us at The Circus Studio for an afternoon of demonstrations of our new products including Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, DaVinci Resolve 15 and more!

You’ll get hands on experience with Blackmagic Design's latest broadcast and post-production technologies as well as the chance to participate in a live shoot with cinematographer Sittipong Kongtong (Han)!"

I wonder when we the first housing will be announced. I cannot believe that someone won't make a housing for this.

Depends on the price of the housing, the Pocket Cinema 4K probably is not that attractive due to the fact that it doesn't have IBIS. The Panasonic full frame has IBIS, even thought it will be twice the price of the Cinema 4K, but the Panasonic full frame seems to be more "future proof" for a while in term of image quality.

Here is a thread that compares the BMD Pocket 4K to the GH5. I’m not really impressed if the P4k is similar to the GH5 in low light performance :(

well, may depend on the capabilities of the user. This LL-stuff looks pretty impressive

• Like 1

Depends on the price of the housing, the Pocket Cinema 4K probably is not that attractive due to the fact that it doesn't have IBIS. The Panasonic full frame has IBIS, even thought it will be twice the price of the Cinema 4K, but the Panasonic full frame seems to be more "future proof" for a while in term of image quality.

We’ll see...

Today’s cameras produce very nice footage already and as the BMPCC 4K is supposed to have the same sensor as the GH5S, the difference will come on how BMD has manage their color science.

Also despite the BMD camera looks like a hybrid camera, it is not one. It still have the original BMPCC heritage. You’ll have to learn how to work with it.

What make me want the BMPCC is the BRAW for what you can recover in post, other than that the GH5S offer more practical feature for easy shooting.

What’s your first impression after looking the online tests available?

What’s your first impression after looking the online tests available?

First impression... Panasonic are over changing us for the GH5s by a $1000...

As to image quality, at the moment from the examples I've seen, I can't see any real differences against the GH5s - nothing that would make me start offloading my GHx gear.

BRAW will be interesting, but still feel both Panasonic and BM are getting almost all of the sensor info already... but look forward to see some BRAW vs ProRes soon.

For underwater, the bigger screen (it being tilted also) - might make it great for underwater as it negates the need of an external monitor.

The fact that they shoot in a high-bitrate, high flexibility raw format (and especially Black Magic Raw, which is an excellent compromise between versitility, file size and computational requirements) is a HUGE plus for this over the GH5/s underwater imo.

The screen would be another big benefit underwater, and may eliminate the need for an external monitor while keeping the whole rig streamlined.

Compared to this, the limited autofocus ability shouldn't be a major problem underwater. The battery life is not great, but should be enough for one dive. It's also nice that you get a choice between different recording medium (SD cards, CF and SSDs through USB-C).

Of course.. we need a housing. And hopefully one that isn't three times the price of the camera. If that comes out, you can bet I'll be testing this guy's capabilities underwater.

I think this would pair up really great with the new 10-25mm F1.7 lens for general wide angle shooting underwater also. Rectilinear 20-50MM is an idea focal length range for video underwater IMO -- enough for wide angle scenic without excessive corner distortion and also close-up shots of anything non-macro.

Sponsors

Advertisements