sinetwo

D500 ports for WA, zoom and macro (nauticam)

Fair enough, thanks TimG.

Do you have any pics with and without the 1.4x teleconverter? Does it effectively allow you to get closer or does it just zoom in a bit more? My understanding is that this provides a different type of image but I'm not entirely sure how it alters it as I've not seen any posts with comparison images.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm gonna order tomorrow!

Sorry, I can’t send pics at the moment as I’m traveling.

CFWA, as the name suggests, let’s you get very close, same as the 10-17 on its own. But because of the TC magnification the main subject fills more of the frame but you still have a wideish angle image. This allows you to show the subject in a habitat or against a backdrop.

If you google around you should be able to find pics which show the effect. If you search in WP I think you’ll find comparisons shots. It’s discussed as an issue ever couple of years.

Thanks Tim.

I've decided to start small and go big later.

So I'm going for:

4.33dome + zoom

105mm VR port

I'll get an extension port when I've used the unit a bit more 😊

sinetwo

Sorry I might belaying a few things that have already been mentioned here. But.

I too was in exactly the place at the end of last year. I took the advice of going down the route of the 10-17 with Zen 4:33 +zoom, the 60mm macro port and 20mm extension that can be used on the 60mm port to use the 105mm lens and also the 4:33 dome for using the teleconverter. You would need a different zoom gear for using the teleconverter.

If you dive in this country I would think about the 60mm.

There are Nauticam port charts available http://www.nauticam.co.ukso you can see the ports that are recommended. But also give Alex a call number on the website.

@bear35,

That's an interesting point, and it seems like Alex hit on 20+60 as well, but according to the Nauticam port charts, you need 30+60 to use the 105mm, not 20+60?

Is 20+60 unofficially supported for the 105mm?

For those interested, after much deliberation, I opted for the following combination. Thanks to all those in the thread who helped me reach a decision, and a special thanks to Alex T (Nauticam UK) for letting me know that the below combination actually works.

* Nikon D500 + Nauticam housing

* Tokina 10-17

* Nikkor 105mm VR macro

* Kenko 1.4x teleconverter

* 4.33" dome for Tokina 10-17

* 20mm extension port for 1.4x teleconverter

* 60mm macro port, combined with the 20mm extension, giving me an 80mm macro port which can house the 105mm VR, despite official guidance stating 30+60 (probably to give room for user error with filters etc.)

* ...and reusing the same 60mm macro port for a 60mm macro lens in the future

That's the most economical travel kit I could come up with! This is not to say I would personally recommend 20+60mm for the 105mm VR, it's just to say it works.

I hope you have a great time with the system! And do post some pics.....

If not too late, you can easily shoot the Nikon 60mm 2.8D Micro behind the same port the 105 uses (87), and that lens is really good -- i used that combo in Lembeh on a D7000 a lot.

I would definitely recommend getting the zoom gear for the 105. In Lembeh, using the 105 + diopter i used manual focus a lot -- more than I had expected. The D500 AF is much better, but I would still want the option to use manual for super-macro.

If not too late, you can easily shoot the Nikon 60mm 2.8D Micro behind the same port the 105 uses (87), and that lens is really good -- i used that combo in Lembeh on a D7000 a lot.

I would definitely recommend getting the zoom gear for the 105. In Lembeh, using the 105 + diopter i used manual focus a lot -- more than I had expected. The D500 AF is much better, but I would still want the option to use manual for super-macro.

James, out of interest, which diopter did you opt for? I've had a look at a few on this article: http://www.nad-lembeh.com/blog/photography/6990/which-diopter/

...as the INON UCL-100 which I used for my RX100 does not work with the 105mm...

Edited by sinetwo

Sponsors

Advertisements