Sign in to follow this  
Heroes

Help me!

I've got about 75 dives under my belt and am interested in getting into photography. I'm looking for a digital camera that would be practical for shots of the kids in the playground but also available with a housing for trips to the Carribean. Initially, I'd be happy to go without strobes but would like the option to add equipment over time. Someone suggested the canon s410 or s500. There's just too much info available and my head is spinning.... I'd really appreciate any responses.

That Canon does not give you the option of setting the exposure manually (can't change shutterpseed or f-stop) so it's not a good choice for underwater use.

The Olympus and Canon cameras that give you manual exposure options are very popular. Off the shelf housings by Olympus and Canon are also available and very modestly priced. That may be a good way for you to get started. And of course, do a search here on Wetpixel.

Cheers

James

I'll have to agree about the Olympus route, I have used an Olympus C3020z (was I the only person to own this model? I have seen other people with C3040z but never the C3020z) on my last two expeditions which I found did what I wanted. At the end of my last trip my Turkish mate made me an offer for it which I accepted.

I have now bought an Olympus C5050z which will get it's first underwater outing next week when I arrive in Thailand for a month of diving.

Next time I get a good offer for my kit I will probably upgrade to a C8080z. :)

Thanks guys. It sounds like the Olympus 5050 is pretty popular here. Is it convenient enough to use as a day-to-day camera? Is there a particular housing that's recommended?

The Olympus C5050z is convenient as day day-to-day camera in my opinion. As to housings, I have only used the basic Olympus ones, currently the housing for the C5050z can be had for £116 in the UK.

It may be worth mentioning that I read a number of (digital) photography magazines and advertisers seem no longer to list the C5050z, but everyone lists the C5060z that came out soon after it. The C5060z has a slightly longer zoom range but apart from that I know nothing about it.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements