Draq

Lumix 8-18 reviews or opinions

I have not seen any reviews or discussions of the Lumix 8-18 lens underwater. I find myself wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to try this lens (for stills) in a 170 or 180 dome and if so, how it compares to the 7-14 lenses, particularly in the corners.

I shoot it with my E-M1 through an Oly housing and Inon 170mm dome. I much prefer it to the Oly 7-14 Pro both due to the added range on the long end and better corner performance on the wide end, and I'm happy I made the switch. There's no zoom gear for this combination, so I use the one for the 12-40 and add a couple of those rubber band cancer bracelet thingies. It's not the best solution as it's easy to hit the manual focus switch and not realize it. One of these days I'll get around to fabricating something with my local library's 3-D printer.

post-50197-0-91800200-1525836698_thumb.jpg

post-50197-0-92845000-1525836713_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I shoot it with my E-M1 through an Oly housing and Inon 170mm dome. I much prefer it to the Oly 7-14 Pro both due to the added range on the long end and better corner performance on the wide end, and I'm happy I made the switch. There's no zoom gear for this combination, so I use the one for the 12-40 and add a couple of those rubber band cancer bracelet thingies. It's not the best solution as it's easy to hit the manual focus switch and not realize it. One of these days I'll get around to fabricating something with my local library's 3-D printer.

I've just designed an adapter for the 12-40 zoom gear to the PL8-18. It's on his way to me from shapeways right now. If I got everything right and it works I can share the file.

I use a Nauticam housing and they have a zoom ring available, so that isn't an issue for me but thanks for the information. Can't really draw too much information about the corners from the posted shots, but I am glad you are happy with the performance.

Deepshots has a gear as well, quiet a bit cheaper than the Nauticam's

https://deepshots.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/deepshots-panasonic-8-18-zoom-gear-new

I will have this next week and will test it with a 7" dome. A have a Seacam superdome as well, but I have to figure out the right extension for this lens.

Edited by rollin

I've just designed an adapter for the 12-40 zoom gear to the PL8-18. It's on his way to me from shapeways right now. If I got everything right and it works I can share the file.

I would definitely appreciate that, hyp- look forward to your testing!

Here's another shot showing some corner detail. 8mm, f5 SOOC jpeg, except compressed for wetpixel

post-50197-0-27127400-1525922372_thumb.jpg

I use it with the 8'' Nauticam glass dome and Nauticam gear. I will follow up with some more comments after I used it a bit more intensely, which will be during my July trip.

I would definitely appreciate that, hyp- look forward to your testing!

Here's another shot showing some corner detail. 8mm, f5 SOOC jpeg, except compressed for wetpixel

I just reread your first post. I am using the Nauticam housing and ring for the 12-40. The ring turned out perfect on first try, but may not fit on the Olympus zoom ring. If anyone is interested in a zoomring adapter for the PL8-18 (using the original Nauticam 12-40 gear) just shoot me a PM.

Sponsors

Advertisements