Sign in to follow this  
AK_Tempesta

Unintended plungero

Hey guys~ I hope to seek for some advice here on the forums, I'm quite desperate.

I tried google and some sites for help but not much information around.

Recently, I bought a setup, second hand.

It is a Sony Nex 7 with nauticam Na nex 7 housing and a port that fits the default lens the camera came with.

I wanna do macro and I would love to buy a macro lens however, I have no freaking clue what is compatible with what.

How do i know what is compatible with my housing? I would prefer a wetlens or something attachable to the housing instead of the camera

Cheers~

post-75030-0-25993900-1527666312_thumb.jpeg

post-75030-0-29696800-1527666321_thumb.jpeg

Nauticam has full port charts on their website. It looks like you have 36121 N85 Flat Port 72 - you can buy 25104 M67 Flip diopter holder for 36121, plus either CMC-1 or CMC-2 diopters.

As you are in Singapore I would suggest a visit over to David and Sanah at Scubacam Singapore. Bring your housing and camera with all lenses with you, they can help you get the right lenses and ports setup for a Nauticam system.

Looking at the port you currently have, you can't add an additional macro diopter to it as there is no threads on it. Which lenses do you have? Just the one? You may need a second "macro" lens and port to achieve what you are after

Looking at the port you currently have, you can't add an additional macro diopter to it as there is no threads on it.

Nauticam makes a special flip holder that attaches 67mm lenses to this port. Of course, it being Nauticam, the holder costs $300.

This is the Sony N85 port chart: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzggKvdoNvhkcTA4ajZJbjAxaWs/view

macro choices are at the top, you have 3 macro lenses to choose, from, I seem to recall the 30mm is not that good underwater, but search for some reviews.

Also think about if you also want to do wide angle later on. If that is the case think about purchasing the option using the N85-N120 60mm adapter as you can also use that adapter with a dome port for the 10-18mm lens. There's also Zen ports for this housing: http://www.jaredparsons.com/portchart/zen-only/by-combination-group/nauticam-n85/ mostly you would be looking at 170mm dome for wide angle from this chart.

Wet lenses are normally used to get greater magnification than what the lens can provide alone. As stated your port has no thread to add a wet lens, but Nauitcam sells a flip holder for that port. They also sell a dome port so you could get reasonably wide with the standard lens and a flip holder to go with it to allow macro. The problem is that flat ports magnify the image reducing the field of view and introduce chromatic aberration to the edges if you shoot wide through a flat port. But anything around the 18-55 standard lens is a compromise. If you have the budget a dedicated macro lens will take nicer images and be easier to use. Same with wide angle a dedicated wide lens in the right size dome will produce better images and get much wider.

Oh crap!

I've checked out the sites you guys posted and DAMN is it expensive for just the thing that holds the lens there...

Are there any alternatives like a "fake" non-nauticam one? I don't find anyone selling it second hand either :(

It's so sad and expensive..,

Oh crap!

Welcome to our world! :crazy:

you can find swing holder M67 to M67 from i-das in the $90.

I had one, and it was working fine.

I prefer the nauticam flip holder while it allow to have CMC1 closer to the port glass.

Oh crap!

I've checked out the sites you guys posted and DAMN is it expensive for just the thing that holds the lens there...

Are there any alternatives like a "fake" non-nauticam one? I don't find anyone selling it second hand either :(

Yep it's all super expensive for UW photo gear , in your case you can't use a generic on that port as it has no threads. The standard way of attaching a closeup lens is through m67 filter threads.and that's what most flip holders use.

what are you planning on shooting? The lens by itself will do 0.3x at closest focus, that will fill the frame with an object about 80mm long. Probably best to do it that way first, it takes time to get used to framing smaller objects while diving and remembering to control your buoyancy while concentrating on the camera.

Edited by ChrisRoss

you can find swing holder M67 to M67 from i-das in the $90.

I had one, and it was working fine.

I prefer the nauticam flip holder while it allow to have CMC1 closer to the port glass.

I don't think an M67 to M67 holder will work with this port, as it doesn't actually have 67mm threading - the Nauticam holder seems to clamp onto the port rather than screw into it. There are ways to do UW photography on a limited budget, but the words 'Nauticam' and 'limited budget' do not mix.

I don't think an M67 to M67 holder will work with this port, as it doesn't actually have 67mm threading - the Nauticam holder seems to clamp onto the port rather than screw into it. There are ways to do UW photography on a limited budget, but the words 'Nauticam' and 'limited budget' do not mix.

There are ways. As with many things you can have 2 of 3 things: Nauticam, limited budget and buying new.

This requires a lot of patience for a good deal. I paid less than 800€ for my NA-EM5, 7inch dome and Oly 12-50 macro gear port and lens. But deals like this seem to appear about once a year...

The problem is, when you want to expand your existing set by a specific item. Suddenly, the already small used market shrinks into non-existance. I fear for the day, where I need another lens port.

Edited by hyp

Yep, and keep in mind that if you're outside North America or EU, your used market shrinks further still.

Oh crap!

Yep, the only budget option I can think of involves a 3D printer and a lot of free time.

I did try a DIY approach using a 58mm +10 close-up lens screwed into a 72-58mm adapter ring mounted on a plastic lid which worked (though with soft corners) but was cumbersome to take on and off the port.

I eventually paid the money for the flip adapter and CMC.

Hi,
a "cheap" possibility could be the port for the 60mm Canon macro lens with metabone adapter.
Will give you a real macro lens and a 67mm thread to add +lenses....

I have been using a Sony Nex 5n Setup years ago with the 30mm lens, and found it to short for real macro...
Switched to an Olympus setup with a 60mm lens, gives 120mm on FX and a great FOD, that was nice.
But now i would either go Canon 60mm, or if money is not the limiting factor, the 90mm Sony macro lens.

Regards,
Wolfgang

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements