kun1

GH5 focus issue with external monitor

I'm having issues with my GH5 failing to focus using the back button focus when my external monitor (DP4) is connected.

Without the DP4 connected back button focus works as expected. I have it set to lock when pressed.

Connect DP4 backbutton focus no longer works. Pressing the shutter button half way is the only way to auto focus

Setting the focus via back button then turning on the DP4 cancels the focus.

Has anyone had this issue with their external monitor be it a DP4 or something else?

Is their a known solution or a setting I can change to allow the back button focus to operate when an external monitor is connected?

Thanks

Edited by kun1

No one using an external monitor with their GH5 :-( back button focus working??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using a gh4 and it works with the smallhd 501. It is slower than without the monitor tho when shooting 4k as the signal needs to be down converted to 1080, which is a little bummer.

No one using an external monitor with their GH5 :-( back button focus working??

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

I was using a Dive and See monitor for a while on my GH4 (Until the mini HDMI port packed it in) and I used back-button focus all the time. I wouldn't have thought the two models would be that different.

Hi

No issue with a GH5 and a smallHD 502 Bright monitor.

Could be an issue with the hdmi cable?

Claude

Have you tried disabling focus assist on the DP4?

The GH5 has a touch focus on the screen maybe the monitor is taking that over

Could be an issue with the hdmi cable?

Claude

That was my first thought as well... Either HMDI or bulkhead connector. But the focus assist could be a good clue as well

Edited by bubffm

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve tried a few different cables now, which eliminates the bulkhead unfortunately..

Turned off focus assist as well to no resolve.

Really struggling with this one, can’t think of anything else that effects the focus

Using my Ninja Flame and Inferno

- I have the back button set to 'AF-ON' (so the same as half pressing the shutter)

Works when connected.

I know it might sound stupid, but try plugging in your GH5 to your TV and see if it does the same.

Using my Ninja Flame and Inferno

- I have the back button set to 'AF-ON' (so the same as half pressing the shutter)

Works when connected.

I know it might sound stupid, but try plugging in your GH5 to your TV and see if it does the same.

Good idea idea, I tried it and it does the same.

Here is a video showing what happens when I press the back focus button with a monitor/tv connected...

Such a frustrating problem

https://youtu.be/rWLqpDfj5Ic

Hi kun1. Just came across your post below and I am having the same issue with my GH-5 and Ninja V.... when I connect the hdmi cable to the external recorder the back focus button stops working. I was wondering if you have found a solution since posting the issue last year?

Hi, unfortunately I couldn't resolve the issue, I tried replacing literally every cable or connector.

Please do update this thread if you manage to solve the problem.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear no resolution. If I find a solution will let you know. Will try and also check with Panasonic...

I opened another thread for the same problem then I discovered this one. Sorry!

Maybe a moderator could merge the two threads.

I'm having issues with my GH5 failing to focus using the back button focus when my external monitor (DP4) is connected.

Without the DP4 connected back button focus works as expected. I have it set to lock when pressed.

Connect DP4 backbutton focus no longer works. Pressing the shutter button half way is the only way to auto focus

Setting the focus via back button then turning on the DP4 cancels the focus.

Has anyone had this issue with their external monitor be it a DP4 or something else?

Is their a known solution or a setting I can change to allow the back button focus to operate when an external monitor is connected?

Thanks

The AF lock button locks the focus but doesn’t refocus it just stops it where it currently is. It works identically with or without monitor for me.

If you want the focus not to move until you hit the button again you need to set the AF/AE to AF-On and the camera in manual focus

This works in all scenarios HDMI or not
Af lock hold is disabled if Af-On is selected by default

So backbutton focus=Af on
not Af lock
The newest firmware also have af on near and af on far both working very well
So unless there is some other requirement back button focus works as intended on the GH5 with the external monitor connected

29 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

The AF lock button locks the focus but doesn’t refocus it just stops it where it currently is. It works identically with or without monitor for me.

If you want the focus not to move until you hit the button again you need to set the AF/AE to AF-On and the camera in manual focus

This works in all scenarios HDMI or not
Af lock hold is disabled if Af-On is selected by default

So backbutton focus=Af on
not Af lock
The newest firmware also have af on near and af on far both working very well
So unless there is some other requirement back button focus works as intended on the GH5 with the external monitor connected

You are completely wrong and you don't have the humility to test for yourself.

You are completely wrong and you don't have the humility to test for yourself.

I use this camera since 2017 and not only I am familiar with the features but I can also read a manual
Yesterday just to be sure I got the field monitor out of the cupboard and tested again and yes it does exactly what it says on the manual
AF lock -> locks the focus
AF on -> performs auto focus
Page 104 GH5 manual
There is no point using Af lock other than still images in my view
I use Af on on all my videos land and underwater

29 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

I use this camera since 2017 and not only I am familiar with the features but I can also read a manual
Yesterday just to be sure I got the field monitor out of the cupboard and tested again and yes it does exactly what it says on the manual
AF lock -> locks the focus
AF on -> performs auto focus
Page 104 GH5 manual
There is no point using Af lock other than still images in my view
I use Af on on all my videos land and underwater

Massimo do you want to make a race to who has the longest?

I shot with Panasonic camera since GH2. I owned a GH2, GH3, GH4 and GH5 and all behave exactly the same way:

Camera in AFS

AF/AE Lock = AF LOCK

AF/AE LOCK Hold = ON

Once you press the button once, the camera REFOCUS and then LOCK THE FOCUS. I repeat: the camera REFOCUS.

This is the default setting used on land (except die-hard filmmakers who use MF) and underwater by everyone on Pana camera for WA shots. On macro shots underwater you will use AF/AE Lock = ON and AF/AE LOCK is grayed out.

With the monitor attached via HDMI the first settings works perfectly. Please don't force me to make a video explaining you how the AF works on Pana camera.

Edited by Davide DB

Try simply to use the camera as per manual and forget how you used to do it
It works today and you don’t need to stress out
If not then you can enjoy your not functioning system
What else can I say? You are the one with problems not me

Hence, in the end you refuse to try the settings I wrote because you will lose face? I know you tried but you cannot admit it.

Your camera (without monitor) is working exactly as mine.

The worst thing about this endless discussion is not about you and me. It's the fact that on the forum will remain misleading information for all users will come here to get info about this topic.

Edited by Davide DB

Gentlemen

I suggest we end this conversation. Future readers can see both your views and draw their own conclusions. 

There's often lots of debate on WP - and it's usually done pretty politely and with respect. Let's keep it there, eh? There are enough fora and websites which make utterly depressing reading because of the level of nastiness and abuse.  Happily this is not one of them.

Time out?

35 minutes ago, TimG said:

Gentlemen

I suggest we end this conversation. Future readers can see both your views and draw their own conclusions. 

There's often lots of debate on WP - and it's usually done pretty politely and with respect. Let's keep it there, eh? There are enough fora and websites which make utterly depressing reading because of the level of nastiness and abuse.  Happily this is not one of them.

Time out?

Sorry if this did not come out as expected I have a been surprised by the tones

As everybody here knows I use the GH5 for photos and video both on land an underwater. If I see someone has a problem I try to help solving it as in this case. It seems it has not been well received and am sorry for that this was not the intention

I'm sure it wasn't, Massimo. 

Thanks for the response. We all move on, right?

:good:

Sponsors

Advertisements