Travi the Diver

Oly OM system starting from scratch

This thread has been a revelation to me. I'm a Nikon shooter but planning to upgrade my wife's PEN to an EM1 II in a Nauticam housing. She's mostly interested in macro and already has the Oly 60mm so that' easy but we're taking a Banda trip this fall and I think she'd be kicking herself if she had nothing to try to shoot the hammerheads we hope to see. For someone like her, is the 12-40 the best option for someone like her? With the Nauticam dome port? Or would something else be more useful?

12-40 is a very nice lens, sharp, though not ultra wide (weitwinkel) of course, but great for medium size fish and will do 0.3x magnification focusing almost on the dome. I use mine in a Zen N85-170mm type II dome. It's quite compact and will also take the Panasonic 7-14mm. The Nauticam dome seems physically much larger (referring to the 7" acrylic dome I've seen some other divers using)

I use the 12-40mm a lot for temperate water shooting. However it is probably not wide enough if say for instance you came across some mantas. I came across a large bull ray on a dive a week or so back, 2m across and 4m long and found myself needing to back off to frame it with the 12-40mm.

Edited by ChrisRoss

I’m primarily into wrecks, so:

The Olympus 8mm FE is good for wrecks/lower vis as you don’t need to back off to get everything in frame. I found on ebay an Inon dome for a pen port and then added an AOI pen to OMD adapter to work with my PTEP08, no issues. This combination also makes for a small rig, without handles it’s almost like a compact (large) which can be clipped off to a chest d-clip.

The Olympus 9-18mm is good for semi-wide angle reefs/wrecks but as folks have said, when you want the WA you need to back off and in vis of 3-5m your image will be obscured to a degree. If you have clear water, its ok. I purchased it as it was considerably cheaper than the 7-14 mm and I could get a cheap dome from the AOI range (AOI DLP-04P and adapter AD-LP-01). This was my go to lens until I got the 8mm. The plastic AOI ports are absolutely fine.

When using the 8mm/9-18mm I don’t bother with a handle or strobe, just hold the case, however, when using the 60mm in the original PPO-EP01 port and a couple of Inon strobes, I add a nauticam flexi tray with an extra link to make it wider for the PTEP08. This way you can comfortably hold it with both hands in thick gloves & press the shutter release.

BTW, you can add a 67mm thread to the PPO-EP01 front end, using an adapter a guy in ASIA makes… reefwreckandcritter. I’ve tried this with an Inon dioptre & 60mm but the depth of field is so shallow it’s put me off.

So, look on ebay, second dealers like (MPB) and the AOI ports are good value, also choosing an older camera also makes for plenty of cheap spares.

Sponsors

Advertisements