snowdog61

Ikelite DS160 vs DS161 - what would you do?

I've got $800 to spend on Ikelite products (photo scavenger hunt double win) but sadly I'm already a Nauticam/Inon guy. Figured the best option would be to get a good strobe and sell down the road. Ikelite has the DS161 on sale for $799 and the DS160 for $649. Looking at the products, I'm not seeing much of any performance difference between the two. Not sure whether to get a single DS161 or get a DS160 and spend the extra $50 for an extra battery. What's the advantage of the 161 over the 160 and any advice on which way to go here.

They're the same strobe, except the 161 has a video light in it. I don't shoot video, but I find it helpful in very low light situations. Whether it would help or not in a resale I couldn't say...

• Like 1

I have a pair of Ikelite Ds161 and honestly the LED video light isnt bright enough by todays standards. If it was me I would buy the Ds160 and put the extra money towards a spare battery.

Regards Mark

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments - thinking would be best to get the DS160 and a spare battery.

I use a DS160 and a DS161, mainly because it saves some weight and space by not having a dedicated focus light for night diving. I've never tried using it for video but I don't think it would be bright enough. It's a nice backup, but doesn't work as one might ideally hope. I found it worth the $150 price difference.

Sponsors

Advertisements