benedika

Freshwater insect larva?

Hi,
what is this or what is it going to transform?
I have found this, about 5mm small critter, on a river dive in Switzerland. on the next day i have found another one twice as big.
The pic is a screenshot from a video i took from the 5mm one.
the critter in action:
or here
Alex

post-26998-0-99840700-1532021283_thumb.png

That is stunning footage! What a site!

What equipment were you using? Did you do two dives, one focusing on wide-angle and another on macro?

My first thought is that the critter you're asking about is the larva of a mayfly from the family Heptageniidae. They are built like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime with a big broad body and legs. They are usually fairly flat as well; as such you often find them in faster-flowing water where their flat bodies perform well in high current.

That is stunning footage! What a site!

What equipment were you using? Did you do two dives, one focusing on wide-angle and another on macro?

My first thought is that the critter you're asking about is the larva of a mayfly from the family Heptageniidae. They are built like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime with a big broad body and legs. They are usually fairly flat as well; as such you often find them in faster-flowing water where their flat bodies perform well in high current.

Thank you!

All the gear i used is at the end of the video.

You are right, its a flathead mayfly.

I did two WA with fisheye and one macro dive.

The next time i will concentrate more one macro.

The "fly" at the end is a water bug

globaldivemedia.com

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements