Sign in to follow this  
Werels

Gear choice

Hi all,

I am new to this board so I hope I am here in the correct section. I have a question relating to a new purchase and I was hoping that someone here could help me with my dilemma.

I used to have a Sony RX100ii camera with a Nauticam housing but due to unforeseen circumstances I need to replace that camera. As I am merely an enthusiast photographer I have no need for high end reflex camera's etc. I always liked the RX camera and I was thus secretly hoping that the new Sony RX100vi would be an improvement for underwater purposes against its predecessors. I am however afraid that that is not the case.

I was thus contemplating to buy the Sony RX100v (with the Nauticam housing and wet lenses) but it is mentally difficult to buy an 'old' camera that came out in 2016 whilst a newer version exists. Another option that I was therefore considering was to buy the new Panasonic GX9 micro four camera and use the standard kit lens (ie 12 - 32 mm) on it so that I could also use wet lenses. Buying high-end lenses that require big dome ports is not really something I desire.

I was wondering whether someone has experience with the use of such standard lenses underwater in combination with wet lenses? I am especially afraid that the standard lens will not perform well in dark circumstances as I am currently not using strobes.

Many thanks in advance.

Best,

Wouter

Flashes are a must for any camera underwater, better get a couple of flashes and keep the Sony... And also if you want to use wet lenses probably the best would be any compact camera set, not a camera with interchangeable lenses. The disadvantage being with wet lenses, especially the wide ones, you will need to do a bit of a zoom to avoid the ugly vignetting.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Edited by sbonev

If you're worried about buying an old camera, RX100 Va just came out - it's basically the guts of RX100 VI with a 24-70mm lens, which is much more suitable for underwater photography than the new 24-200mm.

Why is it "mentally difficult" to buy a camera that's a couple of years old when there is a new one out? The fact is, the inherent imaging quality of cameras has plateaued, and the sensors from 2016 are pretty much the same as the ones from newer cameras. New cameras may have some whizzier features, and possibly better high bandwidth video, but otherwise, there is very little difference in capability, other than, for a fixed sum of money, you can ALWAYS do better with a camera that is a few years old, than with a new one that sells for the same amount of money.

Frankly, I am grateful for the psychology that you expressed, because it allows me to buy perfectly capable gear that's a few years old on the used market, for a small fraction of what new gear that is maybe a TINY BIT more capable costs.

I agree with sbonev. Keep your camera - it's not the limitation on the results you are getting - and get a decent lighting rig.

Hi all,

Thanks for the answers.

FYI, my old camera is lying at the bottom of the ocean - otherwise I would always have kept it and would not be buying a new one:)

That news about the Sony RX100 VA is worth checking out. I did not know about that.

But I understand correctly that using interchangeable lenses together with wet lenses is not really a good option? The reason I liked the wet lenses on my older camera is that they were compact in comparison with the larger dome ports and I could easily do a back roll without worrying that something would leak.

Best,

Wouter

Nothing precludes you from using wet lenses with interchangeable lens cameras. If you look through this forum, you will see recommendations by pro photographers to use Nauticam WWL-1 with Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras and 28mm prime lens. Obviously not every combination is compatible, but most, if not all systems will offer you at least one or two lenses that can be used in a flat port with wet lenses on top. Keep in mind, however, that modern high-end wet lenses can be quite big and heavy - the WWL-1 weighs 1.24kg in air and 0.62kg underwater, requiring its own float collar for neutral buoyancy.

Hi all,

Thanks for the answers.

FYI, my old camera is lying at the bottom of the ocean - otherwise I would always have kept it and would not be buying a new one:)

That news about the Sony RX100 VA is worth checking out. I did not know about that.

But I understand correctly that using interchangeable lenses together with wet lenses is not really a good option? The reason I liked the wet lenses on my older camera is that they were compact in comparison with the larger dome ports and I could easily do a back roll without worrying that something would leak.

Best,

Wouter

In that case get a couple of good flashes and buy an older Sony, a 4 or 5 and that's it. I assume the main reason you want to use wet lenses is to limit the hassle, as with interchangeable lenses you get into a myriad of combinations, also a lot more to be taken care of, maintenance and of course luggage handling... There are also cheaper versions in the advanced camera market - for example the Canon gx7 I think was the model,I personally have the Panasonic lx15, that is of you want to buy a new camera and be light on the budget(though if you are used to Sony probably would be best to stick to that brand as there is a learning curve with different camera brand). Another option would be to buy second hand Sony and if possible the whole rig. And of course the best would be a second hand 4/3 rig for the fraction of what it costed. Check what people are selling and decide what would be the best for you budgetwise, also travelwise, and from a handling point of view.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You can buy a brand new RX100 MkII from BHphoto, and price is better than the newer models: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984408-REG/sony_dsc_rx100m2_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100m2_digital_camera.html presumably others may have stock ?

you only mention the camera is gone not the housing?? if you still have the housing put that money towards strobes or something else.

Hi Wouter

I tend to agree with ChrissRoss. Is your housing still ok or did you lose the lot ? I upgraded to dslr from an RX100II set up but kept the old system. I had also bought a spare RX100ii, brand new still in box. If it helps I could part with one?

Seriously consider adding a leak sentinal to your RX100ii housing if you still have it!

All the best

John

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements