Sign in to follow this  
onokai

Carbon fiber arms?

Looking to lighten my rig for travel some-Anyone have much use on the carbon arms-either floating or not?

Ok I know some are heavier like the floating ones. How are you liking them overall.

Mark

Edited by onokai

Are u asking if the arms are worth it?

If that's what you're asking I love mine. They are very pricey but works great. Just ordered 2 70x250 ones last week actually.

Jesper

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

If you're looking to reduce the in-air weight, keep in mind that carbon float arms are themselves fairly heavy - I have a pair of 60mm/200mm ones, and they weigh 190 grams each, whereas non-float aluminium 8" arms weigh 75 grams each.

Also keep in mind you can't just add any float arms - well you can if you like a positively buoyant rig - but you probably won't like it as it is difficult to use, I tried out a new float arm config one day and at only a little bit positive the rig was difficult to handle. You need the right combination to just cancel out the weight of the rig and leave it a little bit negative.

The weight of the regular aluminum arms (like the ultralight or nauticam arms among others) is so low that any savings from going to carbon fibre are going to be minimal.

Don't get sucked in by the cheap Chinese ones. I tried a set of these and the ball shaft came loose from the CF section after two or three dives.

• Like 1

Also keep in mind you can't just add any float arms - well you can if you like a positively buoyant rig - but you probably won't like it as it is difficult to use, I tried out a new float arm config one day and at only a little bit positive the rig was difficult to handle. You need the right combination to just cancel out the weight of the rig and leave it a little bit negative.

The weight of the regular aluminum arms (like the ultralight or nauticam arms among others) is so low that any savings from going to carbon fibre are going to be minimal.

I agree strongly with this. 100 grams negative is nothing; 100 grams positive is awful. It is quite asymmetrical.

Note the clamps are quite heavy, and there are lots of them on a normal two-arms-each-side-plus-strobe arrangement. I have three on each side (one of them on each side is long) plus a long one for my focus light.

Edited by tursiops

Looking to lighten my rig for travel some-Anyone have much use on the carbon arms-either floating or not?

Ok I know some are heavier like the floating ones. How are you liking them overall.

Mark

The lighter arms for travel are conventional ones with stix floats

Float arms on land are all much heavier than conventional the benefit only comes in the water

If you want to drop few pounds consider full foot fins instead of boots and weight belt instead of integrated

And as much as possible acrylic domes instead of glass those also make your rig positive in water and easier to balance.

Obviously no consideration of any sort on optical quality etc etc just practical considerations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Interceptor121

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements