Sign in to follow this  
TimG

Nikkor 8-15 with Kenko 1.4TC: Subal Zoom Ring

I have had those problems using only the Tokina 10-17 on my D500.

What works for me is screwing the lens a bit harder / faster to the camera (this is the only lens that needs rough love).

If I don't do that, the lens does not focus automatically.

It might be the same issue with your teleconverter.

Kind regards,

Joss

Thanks, Joss

Curiously my Tokina 10-17 works/worked just fine. And I tried messing around with other lenses (topside). A Nikkor 105 and 28-300 also fine. It’s just the 8-15. I’m slightly wary of tough love with that lens but I’m heading home today so will play around some more when back.

Folks

I’m on a dive trip at the moment and, for the first time, am trying the Nikkor 8-15 with the Kenko “1,4 Teleplus Pro 300” on my D500:.

The camera doesn’t seem at all happy with combination and flicks between meterering modes and aperture settings. Really odd. Sometimes I get an Err message on screen.

I’ve got a Z6 with me too. No problem using the Kenko/8-15 combination with that.

I’m darned sure I tried the Kenko/8-15 on my D500 before traveling without a hitch.

Any thoughts?

Argh!!

Hi Tim,

Concerning on the issue your are experimenting with this lens/TC combination, are you using the Kenko DG or the newer DGX version?

I do have the DG version and does not work with my Nikkor 8-15mm, the newer DGX version apparently works fine.

All the best,

Eduardo.

Hi Eduardo

I have the DG version of the Kenko 1.4 Teleplus Pro 300. Not the DGX version. It's reassuring to know that you couldn't get it to work either!

According to the Keno website, the 1.4 TC (I think, DGX) doesn't work with Nikkor 8-15:

https://kenkoglobal.com/uploads/files/product/TELEPLUS/180424%20Nikon_Newly%20tested%20camera%20lens%20teleplus%20combination.pdf

But I'll try and find a dealer with the DGX and try it out - see if it works. Annoying though, as when I tried it the DG version topside it did work for a few minutes.

​Many thanks for the response - very helpful.

Folks

Can we go through those Kenko dimensions one more time?

The older Kenko TC 1.4 PRO300 DG is according to the info I found 19.4mm (depth) x 67mm.

On their website Kenko say the newer TC 1.4 Pro300 DGX is 25mm (depth) x 68 mm

The Kenko Teleplus HD PRO 1.4x DGX is 19.4 mm x 68 mm (Kenko website) - but which Adam said doesn't work well.

So the non-HD version does seem to be 5.6mm longer than the HD versions Joss reported.

Posted (edited)

Hi Eduardo

I have the DG version of the Kenko 1.4 Teleplus Pro 300. Not the DGX version. It's reassuring to know that you couldn't get it to work either!

According to the Keno website, the 1.4 TC (I think, DGX) doesn't work with Nikkor 8-15:

https://kenkoglobal.com/uploads/files/product/TELEPLUS/180424%20Nikon_Newly%20tested%20camera%20lens%20teleplus%20combination.pdf

But I'll try and find a dealer with the DGX and try it out - see if it works. Annoying though, as when I tried it the DG version topside it did work for a few minutes.

​Many thanks for the response - very helpful.

Your welcome Tim,

Marc Casanovas from SAGA Dive (Spain) has been using the 8-15mm + 1.4 Teleplus 300 DGX version on his D500 and Z7 bodies with very good results. You can see some image examples on his FB.

Walt Stearns also uses the DGX version with great results too.

Apparently DGX version is the way to go.

Regards,

Eduardo.

Edited by chungungo

Thanks Eduardo..... more investment eh?

:crazy::crazy:

Thanks Eduardo..... more investment eh?

:crazy::crazy:

Exactly, it never ends....

Exactly, it never ends....

[sIlent scream]

To update this.....

I received the Kenko 1.4 DGX version yesterday, attached it to my D500, attached the Nikkor 8-15.... and Bingo, world perfectly. Camera doesn't produce an Err message, all the usual displays appear and the camera focuses and the shutter fires happily.

Now I need to get it underwater.

Just out of interest, a local reputable camera dealer told me the Nikkor 8-15 doesn't work with the 1.4 DGX; and it does not appear as a valid combination on the Kenko website. But, as Eduardo sets out above, and as I've found so far... it's a good 'un.

And I have a DG version for sale in the Classifieds :crazy:

Tim, Interested when you get the 8-15 + Kenko 1.4xDGX underwater. What dome port are you planning on using?

From asking around the data I’ve gleaned is it’s a possible combo that works fine for wide-angle macro, but for regular wide-angle the IQ loss may be too significant? I believe this is what Adam found with the d850? I’m confused. It seems the setup works if one knows the limitations and where and when to use it, but I’m cloudy on when it is good to use it?

I’d love to be able to use it as I cannot venture into WACP because of the topside weight—It’s too much for me to manage physically above water. And the Nik 13 conversion is too limiting as I can’t do splits. And the above-water weight problem is nearly the same with the larger 9”+ domes when they’re balanced correctly. You know, if I injury occurs, it’s kind of “all-for-naught”... I was hoping to get some flexibility with the 8-15 and 1.4 as a compromise. I can run my own tests, I have the extensions, but I too have to get the Kenko DGX version. And I don’t have a small mini-dome to try, just the Subal 8”.

What Subal zoom gear are you using with the 1.4x? They don’t have anything listed on their website but that’s not unusual? Is there a part # for it? Do you have a photo of it?

I’m not sure which direction I’ll go. I’ve “heard” the IQ isn’t good, but then some excellent photographers are using the combo occasionally in certain shooting situations, even on the d850? Hmmmmm? I’ve read a few threads but I’m still confused as to what situations it actually works in? Or maybe I’ll test it for myself?

Any data you have is appreciated Tim. Thanks, Carol

Hi Caroi

I can't give you any self-created data at the moment as I couldn't get the DG version of the TC 1.4 to work in Bonaire with the Nikkor 8-15 a couple of weeks ago with my D500. But this is what I understand:

- Adam reported a few posts back that he wasn't happy with the IQ using the 8-15/1.4 combination on a Nikon D810. Nor Jack.

- However, as you say, others (Marc Casanovas and Walt Sterns) seem to be using it successfully on a D500.

- I thought I'd try it out both with a DP100 and the DPFE (with my D500)

- For EXRs , I'm going to use two together: EXR18 and EXR20

- On the zoom gear, you're right, Subal don't have one listed but I asked Vladimir at Subal and they agreed to make them. I did ask WP folks in a post at the time if anyone else wanted one but got no takers. Photo attached side-by side with the Subal 8-15 zoom ring.

- The 8-15/TC1.4 zoom ring is 2"+ 7/16" long or exactly 600mm. The part number, hand-written, in the ring is "ZG88 N8-15+1,5K". I'm assuming the "1,5K" is a typo and it should be 1.4K

- The straight 8-15 zoom ring to compare is 1' + 1/2" long, exactly 400mm.

I used the Nikkor 8-15 for normal(ish!) WA shots in Bonaire and was very happy with the results. Better, I thought, than the Tokina 10-17. My plan was to use the Nikkor 8-15/TC1.4 combination for the more CFWA type shots.

I hope this helps a bit!

post-2756-0-25480800-1563277266_thumb.jpg

post-2756-0-34703800-1563277283_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tim! Wow, your regular 8-15 zoom ring looks a lot different than mine. Mine has mostly flat area with just a few teeth in the zoom engagement mesh area. I didn’t think the zoom rings were that different with the Subal ND500 and Subal ND850, but maybe they are just different iterations?

Alex Mustard, in this Instagram post, has used the 8-15/1.4x Kenko combo on the d850 very successfully also but stipulates the significant limitations. He told me he uses a mini-dome when he rarely employs this combo (I believe in this pic too).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxkSVfUhgE1/?igshid=cc2qg6c7g06v

So I’ll still look into it, I can test it without the zoom ring at just one pre-determined focal length as long as I get the DGX Kenko. Alex also users the 20 + the 18 ex rings. We have those though already for the most part, the 18 was for the Tokina 10/17 & the 20 is for the Nikon 8-15 alone.

I’ve looked at what other photographers have done and the mirrorless are are quite close wide angle and what I've seen from Walt was a little more of a wide angle shot (with close focus too). There’s no line between what is and isn’t wide-angle macro so I guess just judgement and testing on shots one can’t really capture in any other way is the basic thing? If the shot works more than the optical limitations being introduced by the TC —- that’s the acid test I assume...?

Yeah, I was a bit surprised too when I saw those rings. Like you, I was expecting some smooth-sided ring with teeth at one end. But hey, it works! Different iterations maybe as you say. There should be no difference between rings for a D500 and the D850 - or any other Dxxx.

I hadn't seen Alex's Instagram post but thanks for that, I'll take a read.

I found it surprisingly hard to find a DGX Kenko. They all seem to be the HD version which I'm not sure works as well. Watch out for that!

I'm doing the same on the EXRs: an EXR20 that I use with the 8-15 plus the EXR18 from the Tokina. Seems to work fine.

I think you are right that testing is the only way to go and, yeah, if it looks good, it works! Pushing the limits..... :crazy: I think Vladimir thought I'd lost the plot when I said I wanted to use the 8-15/TC1.4 with a D500. But then he wouldn't be the first to suggest that :mocking:

Thanks Tim,

B & H has the 300 DGXs in stock along with the HDs etc.

I can try the setup for the cost of a 300 DGX ($159) if I want to keep a set focal length with no zoom. That way if it doesn’t work well for what I want I’m only out the cost of the Kenko and not a zoom gear that may have to be custom made?

I’ll see..., if it’s worth it to me.

We will keep each other posted, yes?

Kind Regards, Carol

Sounds a good plan, Carol

I'm not sure if the Nikkor/Kenko zoom gear is custom made - I don't think so. Maybe worth asking Reef Photo or Backscatter if they can price one for you? At least then you know the costs involved.

Good on B&H having them. That's a better deal than I could get in Netherlands.

Keep in touch for sure - intriguing stuff!

Posted (edited)

Tim, does your Subal 100mm (4 inch) dome allow the shade to be removed? Im thinking not with the Subal ones but Im not sure. The Zen ones Ive seen with removable shades are all for type 4 mounts only. I have type 3 so it limits some things.

I think the 8-15fe + Kenko 300 1.4x DGX combo is valid for the wide angle macro or CFWA shots. These type shots always have some distortion inherently so I dont see why the excellent 8-15 plus the 1.4 TC would make them worse. I think you are on the right track Tim.

Ive already asked at ReefPhoto when I was over there a few weeks ago and they couldnt get the info from Subal on the correct zoom ring. They said they would make me one but I havent pursued it. My next step, if I want to go that direction, is to get the DGX TC and see how it performs with the 8-15 at a fixed focal length. See if I like it. I may also need the small dome too so I really have to look at how much Ill use the combo and if I want to go down that road. C

Edited by seagrant

I'll have to check if the shade can be removed, Carol. I've got the Subal Type 4 DP100 and have never tried removing the shade.

On the zoom ring, ask Reef Photo if they can contact Vladimir, the Sales Manager. He knows all about the zoom ring. I talked to him about it at Boot in January, then we exchanged a number of emails. Stefan at Onderwaterhuis.nl can probably help as well. At one point he, Vladimir and I were exchanging emails about the combination and the necessary EXRs, zoom rings etc. But trying the setup without a ring to see if you like it does sound a good plan.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:32 AM, TimG said:

To update this.....

I received the Kenko 1.4 DGX version yesterday, attached it to my D500, attached the Nikkor 8-15.... and Bingo, world perfectly. Camera doesn't produce an Err message, all the usual displays appear and the camera focuses and the shutter fires happily.

Now I need to get it underwater.

Just out of interest, a local reputable camera dealer told me the Nikkor 8-15 doesn't work with the 1.4 DGX; and it does not appear as a valid combination on the Kenko website. But, as Eduardo sets out above, and as I've found so far... it's a good 'un.

And I have a DG version for sale in the Classifieds :crazy:

Nice reading.

Tim, does the DGX version work on d500 and tokina 10-17? What apertures is the AF working on? Would like to test the setup. Any suggestions for a zoom-ring for the sea&sea mdx housing?

Hi Scotzh

Yep, the DGX version works with the Tokina 10-17 and the D500. I usually use f8 or maybe f11.  

Sorry, can’t help on a Sea&sea zoom ring. You need one that  that fits the circumference of the 10-17 but is 20mm longer. 

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements