Interceptor121

Lightweight Carry On Options for large mirror less housing?

I have a LowerPro backpack that was fitting just fine my small mirror less housing.

I now have a Panasonic GH5 with a Nauticam housing and this is taller plus it comes with integrated handles that make it too tall for the lowerpro bag

I have therefore got one of this backpacks that measures 55x40x20 and expands to 25 if needed

https://cabinmax.com/home/285-uppsala-expandable-cabin-backpack-5060505761696.html

that are practically empty inside with the idea of fitting the bag that comes with the housing plus get another set of inserts for ports lenses etc. Obviously the whole set up would struggle with a large dome but I only have a small dome and a 6" wide angle port

The nauticam case takes almost half of the back pack but I still have space to I thought of getting one of those to fill in the rest

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/photo_video_gb/divider-bag-37.html

The positive is that the bag with the insert weights much less than the LowePro

I wonder if anyone has different solutions that minimise weight but provide maximum space?

I will post some pictures of the set up once one of my last bits arrives

I’ve just gone through exactly the same issue for my trip in 3 weeks.

My ThinkTank Security Roller is just too big, too heavy and not useful with the tight rules of the airlines these days. Looked at camera backpacks but they are deep enough for my Atomos housing.

I too looked at the MaxCabin bags, but read reviews to say the stitching wasn’t great - so with 10-15kg of stuff, I decided (for me) that it wasn’t the way to go if the straps start going, but volume and weight of these things look great!

So... off my wife I got her old IT Luggage 2 wheel softsided roller, which weighs nothing, looks cheap (it probably was) and it’s got a rather feaching owl print LOL. But it’s 50x40x20 so going cheap, and using bubble wrap for the housings - everything fits.

Days of Pelicase and ThinkTank are over on most airlines it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could use an insulated cooler bag. Also doubles as a personal rinse tank while you are diving. I just did that for my trip to Mexico this summer. Waterproof, padded, but it's only one large compartment, so you might want to wrap individual ports and stuff with clothes to protect them in the bag.

The coolers I can find are too small around 30 liters

This is the solution I have built

It consists of a cabin max upsala bag 55x40x20 expanding to 25 cm

The Nauticam bag that came with the GH5 housing

A vanguard divider bag 37

It weights a little bit less than a lightweight trolley at 2.6kg but it is already padded and ready to go

9ab1c070d9ff44b42699aa39b683463d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Interceptor121

I try to do a crafty combination of a backpack (try to make it look as light and small as possible), a TSA sized suitcase carry-on roller suitcase and have even purchased a jacket w/ a TON of pockets for lenses and anything else that won't fit in the backpack and suitcase.

If I explicitly state that the carry-on pieces BOTH contain photography equipment that I am unable to check, they will usually take a look, and after a bit of consulting, let me through. But this has mainly been w/ EVA Airlines going to Indonesia. I haven't tried other airlines yet.

I just purchased a hard case that I'd like to try to use as a carry-on and if they make me check it at the gate, I won't feel so worried about what will happen to my stuff.

I have a Think Tank street walker hard drive back packand it fits in my EM-1 MkII housing and the Zen dome port. In that bag last trip II had the 170mm Zen dome, the 100mm Zen dome, 65 macro port, the Oly 12-40 and 60mm macro, Pany 7-14 and 8mm fisheye, two INON Z-240s as well as spare batteries and odds and ends. in the bottom sot I had my ultrabook laptop. I had the camera in housing

This is carry on legal size and if it won't fit in the overhead lockers will fit under the seat in front .I got it in the overhead locker on a Garuda regional a CRJ-1000 on a recent trip, No problem at all on the 737s. One thing to try is avoid budget airlines that charge for baggage, if they make you check it they can charge you.

Think tank stuff is very strong and well made.

Hey Chris - Id love to see a photo of that backpack fully loaded. I have close to the same system and have yet to find the right solution for everything. Robert.

Here you go,

IMG_2948.jpg

It's not 100% loaded as I had to repack it to take the image, missing are some batteries, fibre optic cables, Oly mini flash etc.

Bottom row L -> R: NAEM1-II housing , strobe/camera batteries

Middle row L -> R: Macro port 65, 2x Z-240 Zen DP-170 type II port

Top row L -> R: Zen DP100 port, Pany 8mm fisheye, 60mm macro, Oly 12-40, Pany 7-14.

Camera is in housing, laptop in slip in section under it all, I also take a hand carried bag that holds toiletries, Misc accessories including o-rings, vacuum pump, etc. etc.

This will fit under the seat in front of just about any aircraft and overhead on most, as I said this went into overhead of a Garuda CRJ-1000 commuter jet.

This is the pack: https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-harddrive-v2

I've had mine for about 8-9 years and it's still going strong. In 2014 I went to Ecuador and had a Canon 500mm f4 and 1D-IV and a bunch of other lenses in it. It's quite versatile.

Edited by ChrisRoss

So after a lot of deliberation I packed my items. The issue that I find is that over 10 kg is really not bearable for a backpack

Only the keldan lights and spare batteries I have are 4.5Kg so I ended up with a standard trolley 56x45x25 (I am flying Biritish airways)

I kept a vanguard divider bag 37 for the ports and glass items everything else went in divider bags (cabinmax) with bubble wrap

So

GH5 housing

Keldan 8x with spare batteries and power supplies and floats

2 12" 2 8" 4 5" arm segments 10 clamps

sola focus light

two ports

all batteries and chargers

two strobes

Total weight 16.6 Kg....

I've been using AO Coolers for 10 years for my rigs. International (Asia) is tough for weight restrictions, 7KG. Fits my GH5 and Nauticam housing, Small HD monitor and Nauticam housing, all my lithium batteries and GH5 lenses. All that just under 15lbs. The cooler also serves as my carry bag to dive shop/on boat and rinse tank. Honestly, I've yet to come across a better solution.

In your scenario I understand not wanting to "Pack" it around. Normally when I fly unrestricted Carry on weight add to the above load out my strobes x2, sola lights x3. I basically just set the cooler on top of my wife's roller and cruise through the airport.

Edited by sideways

I've been through many bags and my current favorite (just been to Indonesia and back) is the Lowepro Whistler (larger one).

Its shape is unique.

Camera compartment is deep enough to hold my Aquatica D810 housing. My 9.5" dome goes in the outer expandable clothing pocket. Its fairly narrow so fits in tight overhead spaces, using the vertical space instead of horizontal.

I've fit it when people with much smaller rollers have to go back and gate check. Bonus is that the camera compartment can be removed if going on a flight with small overheads (done that too). Of course you have to deal with carrying all the weight, but I find airlines don't usually bother questioning & weighing backpacks like they do rollers.

I also have a Thinktank Airport Security which is a great bag, but just too much for tight carry-on rules these days. That served as my 2nd checked bag on my latest trip, carrying strobes, arms, torches, tools, chargers etc. Also a Peak Design Messenger as 'personal item' which handles one body and a couple lenses. Overall worked well managing a ton of UW and topside camera kit.

Posted (edited)

...and my 5 cents:

Manfrotto BumbleBee 220 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO2SnpkG-58)

Been using it for years now, and it works very well. Good quality, and thanks to being a backpack, and of a smaller appearance it usually does not attract any attention at the check in :) Easily fits into the overhead lockers or under the seat.

As for all the crap inside:

-Nauticam GH4 housing + 6" dome + 4.33" fisheye dome + 45 macro port + housing handles

-2 Sola lights + charger

-2 dive computers

-2 Inon Z-240s

-Mares torch

-Z-Bolt laser

-CMC-1

-2 lenses 45 and 12-35

-misc crap - pump, Nauticam tool, o-rings, 5 sets of Eneloops, some paperwork, camera charger, usb cables, strobe ball mounts, extra ball mounts for housing, fiber optic cables, 3 pairs of diffusers, yellow filters etc

-13" laptop

Basically most of the stuff..only things that travel separately are: GH4 body + 7-14, 8,14-140 + 2 fluro filters (small camera bag, over the shoulder), clamps, floats, arms, dyi snoot, AA battery charger (main suitcase)

Total weight round 12 kg, and that is including a laptop. Again, since it looks smallish, nobody bothers to check it. Once got pulled by some overzealous SwissPort employee, but as soon as the nearby Garuda rep arrived and heard it is a UW camera, it was immediately waved through, no further questions asked. Never flew via US though so dunno about the famous TSA...

Pics attached (took out two plastic bags with some paperwork, o-rings and tool, that usually are on top of the pile)

post-46947-0-34346400-1556971274_thumb.jpg

post-46947-0-39340800-1556971317_thumb.jpg

Edited by makar0n
  • Like 1

I shoot a Nikon D850 and use about 2/3 of a Think Tank Airport International 2. 0 roller bag for camera body, lenses (8-15mm and 105mm), viewfinders (45 and 180 deg), batteries - both for camera and strobes. Also in the roller bag is the focus light, hard drive, back up button batteries, etc. With the room left over I put in my medicines, a change of clothes, and a few odds and ends. Weight comes in at 33 pounds. I also carry a backpack or shoulder bag with laptop, iPad, etc. etc.

For the hardware, housing, floats, and all that I have a Think Tank Manager 30. There is some room leftover in for some clothes. Scuba gear has it's own bag.

I figure the price of attendance is paid at the counter in baggage overweight fees.

Sponsors

Advertisements