kraft2000

Fuji XT-3 underwater ?

Hi,

Just wanting to know if the Fuji XT- 3 is of any interest right now in the underwater photography community.

I created an old topic about the previous XT- 2 but AFAIK it wasn't that popular for underwater, and I really can't figure it out : http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59318

The XT-3 seems to get praise all over the internet right now, as best APS-C in the market, best mirrorless outside the full frame category and video capabilities better than the pana GH5 / GH5s. Actually, people seems to be even more enthusiast about the XT- 3 than the Nikon Z7 or the new Canon EOS R .

Only default is just missing a IBIS, that will most probably be corrected in the ( soon to be released ? ) XH-2.

The reason why it isn't hugely popular for UW is that it lacks a native, autofocus, fisheye lens. If I could only have one lens for my setup it would be a fisheye.. For travel, portraits, street photography and even landscapes the Fujis are wonderful cameras.

I just purchase the X-T3 for an all rounder ; and so far I like it a lot.

Just wanted to refresh this thread, since I'm thinking about buying a housing for it.

Anybody have some feedback about fuji underwater ?

If you look at popular lenses for UW use they are a short macro, a wide angle zoom and a fisheye.

Their 60mm macro only goes to 0.5x and the 80mm while usable is a bit long, the 10-24mm zoom looks good and as others have mentioned there's no native fisheye. Couple that with relatively low demand as other makers have a more complete lens lineup and it means manufacturers are not prepared to spend the money required to design and tool up to make a housing. Just because you use and like a camera on land does not mean it's the best one to use underwater, you need to look at the total system.

I looked at the XT-3 for UW use but opted for the Panasonic GH5 instead. The big reason for me was the lack of IBIS on the XT-3, and the limited lens selection as noted above. Otherwise, it appears to be a really nice camera.

last year i dove with the x-t20 and loved it. I recently upgraded to the x-t3 but now i'm in a conundrum because the lack of options for housing. and since Fuji isn't a well used brand in diving, I'm concerned if I buy the nauticam housing, and upgrade my camera in the future I wont be able to sell the housing and buffer the cost of new gear for that model.

Anyone have some feedback on how well underwater white balance works with Fuji cameras?

That's not really a review, just a run down the spec sheet. I'm too invested into Sony to switch anytime soon, but I am idly curious about how Fuji's 80mm macro would perform underwater - they tout it as especially fast-focusing, with two focus groups driven by linear motors, rather than a more traditional arrangement.

Has anyone taken the (literal) plunge with the X-T3 yet? 

I've made the move over to Fuji recently, and it's such a capable system, but I can't find any feedback on underwater performance. 

Weighing up port options with Nauticam I'm kinda torn on going the N100 route (for simplicity/size), or adapting to N120 ports (for ease of resale down the line).

Sponsors

Advertisements