traveldave

Olympus shading ring not working with m.zuiko 9-18 lens

On a recent trip I had wanted to shoot my m.zuiko 9-18 lens in an AOI semi-dome port. I had read that in certain circumstances, the lettering on the front of the lens could reflect off the dome and show in the picture, and the solution was to use a shading ring on the lens. I purchased the Olympus UW Shading Ring for Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Lens POSR-EP02 and still got the lettering in some shots. If I look at the shading ring on the lens, it doesn't seem to cover the letters at all. Is this the wrong shading ring for this lens? Has anyone else had this problem/come up with a solution?

I ended up taking a UV filter and used a black Sharpie to draw a ring on on the filter that covers up the letters. Unfortunately, it causes some vignetting at 9mm (it's okay around 10.5).

Pictures attached.

post-48247-0-25404200-1543096912_thumb.jpg

post-48247-0-17463200-1543096921_thumb.jpg

post-48247-0-25886000-1543096930_thumb.jpg

The shading ring is to prevent a different problem which is flash coming through from the mini hotshoe flash and reflecting off the dome, your problem comes from external light. You could try a ring of black board that sits right down on the lettering area. If you cut it out with some tabs coming up you could glue them the the shading ring. The point is you need to get the ring right down touching the lettered area and the hole as big as possible to prevent it vignetting. The problem with the filter is it sits up high above the lens.

Cover the letters and threads with black electrical tape.. common issue and discussed quite a bit on Scubaboard.

• Like 1

Black electrical tape is simple and works great. I had this problem on a liveaboard and got tape from the crew. Problem solved.

Every lens that I put behind a dome port gets a coat of matt black paint on the white lettering and surrounds.

"Carbon black" acrylic paint from an art & craft shop.

I really don't understand why lenses have to have white lettering on them anyway, other than advertising...

post-78462-0-22033200-1543361219_thumb.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements