kc_moses

OMG!!!!! Camera with gimbal that's UW proof up to 60m!!!!

it's 1/2.3" sensor, but hey, for the price and the right light condition, it could beat a lot of camera!

• Like 1

It's very intriging... Certainly something to try out... Doesn't look like the housing restrict the gimbal at all... Will try to get my hands on one...

Mine will arrive on Monday just in time for our December dive trip, recording topside videos only! Hopefully, the housing and filters (OEM or 3rd party) will become available soon.

Also, I hope DJI will make an Osmo Pocket "Pro" version, using their excellent 4K60p drone camera with an 1" sensor.

Edited by A.Y.

DJI Osmo Pocket arrived today and the 4K60p .mov videos play super smooth on my 15" MBP, running OS X El Capitan. OTOH, GoPro Hero 7 Black 4K60p HEVC h265 videos require OS X Mojave and the latest Final Cut Pro to play and edit without conversion.

The Osmo Pocket delivers smoother stabilization than the 7 Black, especially for running and slow panning shots, however, both cameras will do just fine underwater.

The FOV of the Osmo Pocket is slightly narrower than my Sony 18-55mm kit lens at 18mm (the 27mm equivalent white frame shown in the image below) even though the specs claim 80° or 26mm equivalent FOV. So it's really not wide enough for a lot of underwater situations.

gear-uw-fov.jpg

I will definitely keep the Osmo Pocket for skiing and general topside travel videos, and may even pickup an UW case to see what it can do.

The Osmo Pocket delivers smoother stabilization than the 7 Black, especially for running and slow panning shots, however, both cameras will do just fine underwater.

Hero 7 Black firmware update v1.61, released on December 11, 2018, eliminates the annoying stuttering in slow panning shots when HyperSmooth stabilization is on.

The more I play with this tiny, tiny Osmo Pocket the more I like it! It's 4K60p videos have slightly better image quality than the Hero 7 Black overall, but the GoPro is IMO a better underwater camera!

The FOV of the Osmo Pocket should improved once put into the housing. Besides, there may be more 3rd party accessories once it become more popular. GoPro is really loosing ground lately as they are not able to catch up with the industry innovation so I'm sure everybody is going to jump on DJI eventually.

I recently opted for the Hero 7 Black over the Osmo Pocket but that is mainly because I have other use cases such as downhill skiing and mountain biking. One thing that I was not aware of is that 4K 60fps and 1080 240fps only output to HEVC. While this is technically a good thing, I do not have the software or the hardware to manage the files without transcoding to H.264. I believe that there may be a similar issue with Osmo Pocket. Although this is certainly not a dealbreaker, I thought I would raise this for the awareness of other amateur / enthusiast videographers who have yet to upgrade their NLE.

• Like 1

After using an Osmo Pocket and a Hero 7 Black extensively on a dive trip and a ski trip, in my opinion, these two small cameras are perfect complement to each other.

Field of View: 7 Black is considerably wider. I use Hero 7 Black for super-wide shots, and Osmo Pocket for standard-wide situations.

4Kp60 Image Quality: Osmo Pocket captures slightly more details, but it's hard to tell during normal playback.

4Kp60 high-ISO Image Quality: Osmo Pocket has a lens that is one stop brighter and uses less aggressive noise reduction; therefore, it produces better IQ under low-light situations.

Daytime Exposure: Hero 7 Black ProTune settings produce more accurate exposure than Osmo Pocket, which tends to overexpose by 1/3 to 1/2 stop, requiring manual compensations. Osmo Pocket's latest firmware adds a "Cine" profile and it does help the situation. I haven't tested it much yet!

Stabilization: Osmo Pocket kept the horizon perfectly level and stable on the ski slope, and it was impossible to do the same with the 7 Black. Both cameras did a fantastic job, stabilizing the skiing videos overall, but, at the end of the day a real gimbal is better.

https://youtu.be/Jc_NuFilVuU

Here's my whale shark video, shot in 4Kp60 with a 7 Black, which was barely wide enough for the task, hence an Osmo Pocket would not be the right tool for this. However, a 7 Black was too wide for many small marine creatures and I wished I had the Osmo Pocket with me underwater.

BTW, how do you get the YouTube link to display preview?

Edited by A.Y.

Thank youn A.Y. For the review and sharing the video. How is the Osmo Pocket housing handles underwater? Can you share some underwater footage of the Osmo?

I am repeating your question cause I need an answer too:

How do you we get the YouTube link to to display a preview in the forum?

Osmo Pocket waterproof case is not yet available. For sure I'll get one asap!

UW White Balance: Forgot to mention 7 Black has much improved UW white balance for shallow depths around 6m (20'); therefore, Flip filters were installed on the camera but not used for recording my whale shark video .

Edited by A.Y.

After using an Osmo Pocket and a Hero 7 Black extensively on a dive trip.....

BTW, how do you get the YouTube link to display preview?

Sorry, I have misread your first line. Please keep us posted. Thanks again :)

Sponsors

Advertisements