simon bomholt

Tokina 10-17 with 1,4 extender. How good is it

Hi guys. Still new to the DSLR world.

I have the canon eos 7dm2 and a tokina 10-17. If i want to add a 1,4 extender, how much will it give and do i need anything else. Do the autofocus still work, and will i be able to use the 1,4 witm my 60mm macro as well.

I use nauticam housing.

I want some more magnification in the lense as the sharks i meet where i go diving are a bit skittish

I sometimes use this set-up on my Nikon. 10-17 focuses so closely that it works fine with a mini dome and 1.4, nearly touching the dome. I don't know about the Canon 60, but my Nikon extends to focus and requires an 18mm extender behind the port. Don't notice a great difference with the 1.4 on the 60. Hoped I could use a close up lens with it, but you're better off just getting a 105 with the proper port.

Hey Simon

I used the Tokina 10-17 with a Kenko TC1.4 a lot in my Nikon D300 days. I'm using the system again now with a D500 but because of the diving conditions on recent trips I didn't use the D500/Tokina combination very much although it did look promising.

On the D300 I found the 10-17/TC1.4 combination very good. It effectively produces (approx) a close-focus 14-25mm lens so not quite as wide but still pretty good and the close focus is very close!

As Larry sets out, you would need to extend the port forward to accommodate the length of the TC. Your housing manufacturer, Nauticam, should be able to advise on the extension ring size needed. And you may well need a different zoom ring to operate the zoom on the 10-17. Again, Nauticam or a dealer should be able to give you details.

For sharks? It depends of course on how close the sharks get. My own experience is that 14-25 may be too wide. I don't have a lot of shark experience but did find with dolphins that getting close to 35mm worked best for me, But, as I say, it depends on location and the type of approach the dive operator (and the sharks!) use. I'm sure others here will have thoughts on lens size.

What about a 1,6. Will it give more power

Sure. It'll multiply your lens by x1.6 rather than x1.4.

Can't say I've heard of a 1.6 TC though. You may find it slightly more difficult to find the right extension ring/zoom ring combination as 1.4 has become something of an accepted standard for close-focussing wide-angle and most (many) housing manufacturers cater for that. Doesn't mean it can't be done of course!

Nauticam has already thought about and they recommended domes and required extensions listed for this combo as well as the different zoom ring which needs to be longer by the length of the 1.4x:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ShofYNeLeCiDC6ifQbMGswsfz8wT1U7/view

Presumably you use one of the domes in Nauticam's list, but even if you don't you can see from the chart that you need 20mm more extension compared to what you have now, no matter which port you are using.

I used to use the Tokina 10-17mm with a 1.4x TC on my Nikon D700 and thought it gave me good results while allowing me to use that favorite lens. Then two things happened: I upgraded to the much higher resolution Nikon D800, and I upgraded my computer to a Mac with Retina display. Then I could see I was really trashing my image quality with that teleconverter. Also, with a better monitor you can see how much color fringing the Tokina 10-17mm lens produces. Now I would much prefer to shoot with a good wide or fisheye lens, such as the Sigma 15mm, and crop in post if it is too wide. We are still waiting for a lens for full-frame that gives an equivalent to the 10-17mm, but without needing a TC. Of course it depends on how picky you are about image quality. If you will only use your pictures small online, it really doesn't matter what the TC does to the pixels.

My experience has been that the Tokina with a cropped sensor camera is fine. With a full sensor - and certainly with a D800's resolution - for me the Tokina just didn't work: weird colours, unsharp.....

Sponsors

Advertisements