Schwob

How do you reach the shutter button?

In a setup with tray, left upright, right upright and (somewhat large-ish but still just "holdable") housing inbetween:

Do you

- 1 - move the right upright further out and hold the housing to reach the shutter button, or do you

- 2- hold the right upright and use some sort of installed trigger contraption to get to the shutter button

- 3 - or?

Edit: Did you try both? Which do you prefer and why?

Edited by Schwob

I had the Nauticam trigger assembly on my housing (similar to the one in the link that @Barmaglot posted). In cold water it feels like it really helps, you can stabilize the tray and housing assembly by using the handles, and use the index finger to shoot.

Last week, though, my trigger broke in the middle of a warm water diving vacation. I removed it and I actually enjoyed having my hand directly on the housing, since I could access buttons faster, and when holding it with the single right hand it felt more stable, since my hand was closer to the center of mass and there was less momentum/lever.

I don't have a repaired trigger back, so I'll see how shooting like this feels in cold water, using dry gloves and insulation. Last week I really liked it, and I can see myself removing the trigger in the future for warm water diving.

• Like 1

@Barmaglot: Yes, it seems that little assembly makes sense... yet lacking experience with it I may just have to try it both ways. That SeaFrogs housing BTW does feel big in my hand... but having more direct feedback than with an added mechanism also seems to have benefits ... not sure it really matters ... will need to find out I guess...

@Clownfish : Your actual experience very much reflects what I've been thinking ... and hopefully gain actual experience on around year's end when my slowly taking shape new set-up will finally get wet... Until then I am just quite uncertain what makes more sense to me... so I thought I try to learn from "pre-existing esxperience".

All: If you do hold on the upright post and do use such a trigger assembly:

Do you manage to half-press pre-focus well with that trigger?

Or do you use back button focus?

If the latter, how do you do that with your hand on the upright post? - I mean there is no way to reach then... - or?

Sorry if these questions appear stupid... probably because they are... just trying to wrap my head around it a little better to get started...

There's no way to reach the back buttons while holding on to the right handle, but the trigger has a fairly long range of motion, so half-pressing to focus is easy. I only used it on one trip so far, but I found that setting the camera to manual mode, f/8, 1/160s (strobe sync speed) and auto-ISO allowed me to simply point, frame and click, pulling the trigger with my right hand and adjusting zoom with the left. I hardly felt the need to touch other settings.

I have the right upright close enough to the housing (Nauticam NA_NEX5) that my index finger can still reach the shutter lever without much of a stretch - I can still just get the other fingers in the gap to hold it securely. Not sure if that's do-able with a housing having a button rather than a lever though.

Sponsors

Advertisements